Vandalism of Buran

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Regarding the vandalism of one Buran by so called urban explorers.

View: https://twitter.com/roscosmos/status/1397462273195749376

Regarding the recent intrusion in the non-utilized facility in Baikonur where the Buran craft are located, the Russian side will introduce the question of the conservation of unique objects in the Cosmodrome during the next meeting of the Intergovernmental Commission between Kazakhstan and Russia in Baikonur. According to the State Corporation [Roscosmos], it is necessary to swiftly take a decision about the transfer of unique objects to one of the Cosmonautics Museums. Roscosmos is ready to discuss the terms of said decision.

Man I hope they arrest that dude, but seriously the Russians are terrible at preserving their stuff, I wish I had money to go buy some of the airplanes they have abandoned. Here the problem is people not going to the museums.

This is sad but the Buran's and this whole facility has been essentially abandoned by the Russians. Preservation costs money and they haven't got any...well for this anyway.

No doubt they could get them back if they wanted to.

I think they already did that for a mockup in Moscow no ?

I just thought that moving a Buran from Baikonur to Moscow flight test center (Zukhovski ? sorry if I got the name wrong) had been done many times in the past, including for MAKS. And the An-225 is still there, going strongly.

Plus OK-GLI in Germany, but that was a very different matter.

At this point, I'd be very nervous about putting the remains of that Buran on top of an An-225. Serious questions about structural integrity that can't be answered without a lot of inspections and possibly a bunch of rework just to get it safe to ferry.