Unusual "Bat Plane" Landing Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Normally, landing lights are located either on the landing gear strut or slung under the wings close to the fuselage. Logo light on vertical stabilizer seems a bit low and not illuminating the stabilizer surface. Interior cabin lights are seen to extend quite far forward. Some odd lights located mid-fuselage. Assuredly landing lights are not normally located on wing-tips as this would interfere with red/green nav lights. We don't see any collision-avoidance strobes. Could this be a military aircraft. It doesn't strike me as a hoax. Strange bird - IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/v/TapzK2mPM24&hl=en_US&fs=1&​

Kolcheck_Lights_edit.jpg

Good Call Machdiamond !! I'll buy that!

Images of McDonnell Douglas MD-82 (DC-9-82) -- I think it fair to suggest: another bat-case solved! Gear is up and hence no nose-light .. wingtip landing lights appear to be of greater output than in images - but bear in mind video was shot in Nite-SHOT mode i.e. significant light amplification. Thanks MachD .. good call. :)

1609398.jpg

1609340zz.jpg

1605776cc.jpg

thanks to Airliner.net for their photo's (as cropped and enhanced slightly)

Definitely an MD-80 series aircraft, American Airlines has the world's largest fleet of them and they're a dime a dozen in the skies here over Dallas/Fort Worth. The landing lights are in the wingtips, there are two wing leading edge illumination lights on each side of the forward fuselage and a third light on the side of the fuselage aft of the wing that illuminates the engine intakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom