Unknown Three Seat Airplane Design Early 1920s

Dynoman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Looking for more information or positive identification of the pictured aircraft. Possibly Huff Daland Type IX Coastal Observation aircraft? May be a 3-view or proposal description out there.(Note: Vertical stabilizer appears to be missing. the lines on the horizontal stabilizer looks as though there may have been two vertical stabs.)

Attachments

• Unknown 3 seat Design.jpg
    Unknown 3 seat Design.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 46
Quick sketch on what I see. Possibly to help with identification. Landing gear looks as though they are positioned under the wing and away from the fuselage. Possibly allowing a bomb bay in between the landing gear? If so then a three-seat ground attack or bombardment aircraft 'type' instead of the Type IX.

Attachments

• Sketch of Unknown Airplane.jpg
    Sketch of Unknown Airplane.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
I think that was a design from Aeromarine ?.

Due to the radius of the cowling and the close proximity of the front portal cockpit to the propeller, I assume this is an air cooled radial engine. The scarff ring mount in the rear is likely for defense and the front cockpit, being so close to the engine would not likely have a gun mount, but more likely is for observation (i.e. 3-seat Type IX).

The letter spacing is similar to another model posted in the Early Aircraft Projects thread (accompanying the unknown aircraft photo below). I speculate that it's a Glenn L. Martin design. Unfortunately, I haven't found a proposal submittal for a Type IX by Martin.

Attachments

• Unknown AC Writing.jpg
    Unknown AC Writing.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 24
  • Glenn L Martin Type XII.jpg
    Glenn L Martin Type XII.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: