Unknown plane

Deltafan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

on a french forum, somebody asks about an unknown two-seater single-engined training plane with fixed gear. There are two photos of this french military plane from immediately after the WW2 collapse of France.

Could it be a Lignel 16 ? (I did not find any photo of this plane).

sans_t12.jpg

lignel10.jpg

Perhaps a SFCA-Maillet 201 (but the vertical surfaces are quite different).

Attachments

• SFCA-Maillet 201.jpg
    SFCA-Maillet 201.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 456
Sorry for off-topic: I think, that on the second picture there were Cierva autogyro stands to the right of unknown plane, and right to it - Marcel Bloch MB-200. And I'm looking forward for your's opinions!

Indeed Silencer1

A Bloch MB-200 bomber (with the front machine gun turret canopy missing) & a Lioré Olivier Léo C 30 (licence built Cierva autogyro).

Wassis?

Chris

Attachments

• Intake.png
    Intake.png
    620.6 KB · Views: 423
Seems to be an Arsenal VG 33 without engine & propeller.

Attachments

• 2018-01-27_121751.jpg
    2018-01-27_121751.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 2018-01-27_122305.jpg
    2018-01-27_122305.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 29
Retrofit said:
Perhaps a SFCA-Maillet 201 (but the vertical surfaces are quite different).
I tried to compare with this plane, but not only the vertical surfaces, the end of the wings and the glass of the cockpit too, seem to be different.

Looks, like this unknown monoplane has been a subject of search for a long time: look at page 3 of this thread http://forum.aviation-ancienne.fr/t6680p50-qu-est-ce-que-c-est

There certain pictures, demonstrating a "scrapyard" somewhere on airfield - in early 1940s

Attachments

• parkin10.jpg
    parkin10.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 60
  • c95510.jpg
    c95510.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 80
  • c95410.jpg
    c95410.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 63
  • c95310.jpg
    c95310.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 62
The single-engine design with a triangular fin might be an Italian Nardi FN.305A, over 40 of which were in French service when Italy declared war on France.

Nardi_FN.305A.jpg

640px-Nardi_FN305.jpg

Silencer1 said:
Looks, like this unknown monoplane has been a subject of search for a long time: look at page 3 of this thread http://forum.aviation-ancienne.fr/t6680p50-qu-est-ce-que-c-est

There certain pictures, demonstrating a "scrapyard" somewhere on airfield - in early 1940s
Yes, indeed. It was said on the French site from where I shared the two first photos.

Thanks for your third photo, where we can better see a part of the unknown plane.

cluttonfred said:
The single-engine design with a triangular fin might be an Italian Nardi FN.305A, over 40 of which were in French service when Italy declared war on France.

Nardi_FN.305A.jpg

640px-Nardi_FN305.jpg

I don't think so - the Nardi is a more angular design with a flat rather than rounded canopy top, and the windshield on the mystery plane appears to be much steeper. As far as I can tell with my rather limited French, the Nardi also seems to have been considered and discarded in the French forum linked above.

Martin

cluttonfred said:
I think that they look like a lot but they seem to be different.

The Wheel of the unknown plane have Wheel spat. There is no Wheel spat on the Nardi (but two support bars)

The cockpit glass upper part of the unknown plane is relatively round. On the Nardi it's relatively flat.

The cockpit glass shape of the unknown plane is different. The distances between the amounts are not the same.

Just a side question:
Is there available a side view (showing the empennages) of a Caudron C.600G "Aiglon", since at least one (F-AOGR) of the 5 examples built was equipped with fully enclosed tandem cockpit and a hard streamlined back?

Attachments

• 2018-01-27_163445.jpg
    2018-01-27_163445.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 38
You're right that it's not a Nardi, but I don't think it's a Caudron, either. The vertical fin is all wrong and the canopy doesn't have a very Caudron look about it.

Picture from Aero Journal Hors Series 30, 2018 (dedicated to aircraft and air combat over France in My-June 1940).
On page 112, in the chapter, dedicated to training aircraft we see it, named Nardi FN.305...

Could it be another photo of aircraft, that was a reason of the topic?

Attachments

• Avion.JPG
    Avion.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 255
The wingtips have a bit of a Leo look to them.

Silencer1 said:
Picture from Aero Journal Hors Series 30, 2018 (dedicated to aircraft and air combat over France in My-June 1940).
On page 112, in the chapret, dedicated to training aircraft we see it, named Nardi FN.305...

Could it be another photo, of aircraft, that was a reason of the topic?

Certainly could be. If only the tail wasn't cut off then it'd be obvious.

Attachments

• 1280px-Avion_profil_01_01.jpg
    1280px-Avion_profil_01_01.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 190
Silencer1 said:
On page 112, in the chapter, dedicated to training aircraft we see it, named Nardi FN.305...

Thanks for your answer.

But in the first page of this topic it's said why it's not a Nardi FN.305. On the photo that you share we can see too that the end of Nardi FN.305's cockpit is not the same end as the unknown plane's cockpit.

Deltafan said:
Silencer1 said:

Thanks for your answer.

But in the first page of this topic it's said why it's not a Nardi FN.305. On the photo that you share we can see too that the end of Nardi FN.305's cockpit is not the same end as the unknown plane's cockpit.

I believe what he is saying is that the photo is mis-captioned in the magazine as a Nardi 305. Its something else and perhaps another photo of the mystery type this thread is about.

Hello!

Looks, like mystery of two-seat monoplane with Armee l'Air markings (that started this thread) still unresolved.
There were version: Italian Nard FN-305 - but it's not, they have too different overall shape.
There were version: French Maillet 201 - but I was unable to find any picture of it, with vertical stabilizer visible.
In my humble opinion, Maillet has some similarities with "unknown plane" but has longer rear fuselage.
By the way, Squadron-Signal book "Armee de l'Air" (by Camelio and Shores) contains picture of Maillet 201 with proper inscription - see attached file.

I found yet another possible option for the "uknown plane". Although, it's more mysterious, then first one.
Mentioned here - http://forum.aviation-ancienne.fr/t6680p25-qu-est-ce-que-c-est - photo #32.

My concern, that one or two French two-seaters have been presented on the photos, taking in 1949 or later - that no one could recognize and name. And I'm looking for your opinions :cool:

Attachments

• Maillet201.JPG
    Maillet201.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 132
  • franaa10.jpg
    franaa10.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 125
On a French forum it is said that the plane of the photo in Aero-Journal is not a Nardi FN.305 but a Maillet 201.