Unbuilt Postwar UK airplane designs with innovations in air-air combat

DeltaDagger

Aerospace research into forgotten UK innovations
Reaction score
I'm studying at Imperial College, UK and working on airplane design in the defence sector. A particular focus is UK innovation in air-to-air combat.

I know that many textbooks and histories examine successful airplane designs but I was wondering which projects (postwar-date) didn't make it into production but contained some great air-to-air combat designs.

Can you suggest any particularly novel ones? Thanks!

An interesting question. This forum has a lot of discontinued airplane designs, its kind of the reason the site exists. However, what UK designs can properly be considered innovative in air-air combat?

As a overview I would recommend British Secret Projects: Jet Fighters by Tony Buttler.

The Hawker P.1216 is a pretty interesting design, documented in a ProjectTech book by Mike Pryce.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6661.0.html

It had a very innovative configuration and was designed for supersonic V/STOL capability and agility with a single vectored thrust engine.

I'd also include more well known ideas like the SR.53. Mixed propulsion was definitely an innovation at the time.

First three that come to my mind are:
-BAE Replica
-British Aerospace P.125
-Hawker Siddeley P.1154

Unbuilt Postwar UK airplane/helicopter designs w/ air-air combat innovations

Many thanks for these interesting references and ideas. I shall certainly look into them!

I've been advised elsewhere to consider the P.1224-8 if anyone knows where I can find information on this?

In addition, I'm also interested in helicopters, both in terms of airplanes attacking them and defending against them. Perhaps they've been developed as innovative weapons or reconnaissance platforms but not deployed.

If anyone can suggest suppliers or models of relevant helicopters, that'd be great.

The BAe Kingston UFA was a very interesting unmanned air-to-air combat aircraft.

During the 1980s Kingston were also studying an unmanned fighter aircraft (UFA), the P1224. This was a supersonic aircraft capable of being launched from a short ramp on the back of a Land Rover (using rocket boost) and of recovering vertically back onto the vehicle. This was effected in a tail-sitting attitude using a pole mounted ‘hook and hoop’ recovery system similar to that of the Ryan X-13. For transport and storage it could be broken down and placed in a hermetically sealed container. A number of variants were looked at with ventral or dorsal intakes, fuselage or wingtip-mounted fins and tailed or tail-less layouts. All were much smaller than any manned fighter, with lengths of 17-30 feet and spans of 11-15 feet. Reheated Adour or Viper engines were proposed with the rear nozzle capable of vectoring in all directions as on the Sukhoi Su-37. In co-operation with blown ailerons this gave control in the transition and hover. The mission equipment included either a FLIR or Blue Vixen radar and a pair of AMRAAM missiles. The basic concept was that these ‘Ferrets’ should be used to intercept a first wave of Warsaw Pact aircraft heading west over the Inner German Border – anything detected could be assumed to be hostile. The ultimate version of the aircraft, the P1224-8, featured a blended wing/body with a rounded delta wing (in place of the previous swept wing), no fins or rudders and a flush intake. The AMRAAMs were recessed in the upper fuselage and this semi-stealthy design was renumbered P1243. Although it seemed well ‘ahead of its time’, the Kingston UFA concept evoked no formal interest from the UK Services and was terminated in 1988.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11511.0.html

Attachments

• P1243.jpg
    P1243.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 947
There isn't a lot more publicly available on this particular project unfortunately. As noted by Mike Pryce, there were more conventional UAV-looking designs as well as this "F-19 Stealth Fighter" shaped design.

TomS said:
I'd also include more well known ideas like the SR.53. Mixed propulsion was definitely an innovation at the time.

Indeed, though the 177 was the intended production model.

Other fighters that could be considered would be the Supermarine 545 Supersonic Swift and BAe's SABA. BAC did have some versions of the P45 that were intended as a cheap overseas fighter for the RAF, but if I recall correctly their ideas on scaling VG down to smaller aircraft were flawed.

Going back a bit, Canberra P.12 is one of the first if not the first "fighter" with active radar homing missiles.

More recently, the AESA on swashplate to increase Field of Regard is a UK innovative, but will firstly be in service on Gripen NG and then Typhoon.

Thanks, all! Some really interesting ideas here. I look forward to finding out more in my research :)

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
The BAe Kingston UFA was a very interesting unmanned air-to-air combat aircraft.

During the 1980s Kingston were also studying an unmanned fighter aircraft (UFA), the P1224. This was a supersonic aircraft capable of being launched from a short ramp on the back of a Land Rover (using rocket boost) and of recovering vertically back onto the vehicle. This was effected in a tail-sitting attitude using a pole mounted ‘hook and hoop’ recovery system similar to that of the Ryan X-13. For transport and storage it could be broken down and placed in a hermetically sealed container. A number of variants were looked at with ventral or dorsal intakes, fuselage or wingtip-mounted fins and tailed or tail-less layouts. All were much smaller than any manned fighter, with lengths of 17-30 feet and spans of 11-15 feet. Reheated Adour or Viper engines were proposed with the rear nozzle capable of vectoring in all directions as on the Sukhoi Su-37. In co-operation with blown ailerons this gave control in the transition and hover. The mission equipment included either a FLIR or Blue Vixen radar and a pair of AMRAAM missiles. The basic concept was that these ‘Ferrets’ should be used to intercept a first wave of Warsaw Pact aircraft heading west over the Inner German Border – anything detected could be assumed to be hostile. The ultimate version of the aircraft, the P1224-8, featured a blended wing/body with a rounded delta wing (in place of the previous swept wing), no fins or rudders and a flush intake. The AMRAAMs were recessed in the upper fuselage and this semi-stealthy design was renumbered P1243. Although it seemed well ‘ahead of its time’, the Kingston UFA concept evoked no formal interest from the UK Services and was terminated in 1988.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11511.0.html

So, that's the origin of "F-19" ;D

Attachments

• 10033916a.jpg
    10033916a.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 287
I think it was the other way around - the model influenced the P1224-8 layout. Although it was the Testor F-19 in this case.