UK china maker rolls out souvenirs for king’s May coronation

edwest4

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

At the money they charge? £45 for a teacup and saucer, 1 of each?

Despite the odd looks, a mate of mine drinks his tea in the rig teashack from a bone china cup that commemorates Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981.

'It was ten bob in a junk shop and it holds the right amount.'

I think it's offshore Guyana at the moment. I'm amazed its survived all this time. Mind you it doesn't go in the galley dish washer. 'Don't be daft, it'd take the gilt off, Chris'

So, it's only going to be a quid a year Arjen.

1680425785015.png

Ah, go on. Go On. GO ON!

Chris

I think it was ten bob because there was no saucer.

Chris

I have a couple of favourites, a 1.5 pint mug Sara got me with "Angry old git" prominant on the front (Right or correct hand on handle) and a "Pete's eats" 1 pint mug. Anyone who has been to Llanberis (Snowden) will know that though.
Most of my guest mugs come from the bin and one perfect Wills and Kate wedding mug went to the old girl upstairs who dotes on this sort of thing so that will have a quiet life now. None of the above came in over 10 quid.

Last edited:
It still surprises me that Stoke-on-Trent has a ceramics industry, when I was at Uni there 30 years ago you'd pass at least 5 different makers on the way from digs... when I went back 10 years ago most had been turned into car parks and supermarkets with just some of the higher end ones left... given the workmanship that goes into them now I'd say £45 is a snip...

My favourite mug, one with a Steve Bell cartoon of Jeremy Corbyn as Obi-Wan Kenobi died over lockdown...

Zeb

Ah, go on. Go On. GO ON!
I had the opportunity to buy 'a bone china cup that commemorates Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981' in 1982. In Durham. Missed out then, but my lack of foresight was mitigated when I eventually found this in a thrift shop:
mug.jpg

This, I bought in a junk shop not 10 miles away from Boeing Field.
Just had to have it.

1680431710323.png

How many levels of wrongness exhibited here?

Chris

On the plus side, it doesn't say Northrupp.

This, I bought in a junk shop not 10 miles away from Boeing Field.
Just had to have it.

View attachment 696966

How many levels of wrongness exhibited here?

Chris
It could have redeemed itself had it been glazed with that stuff that changes color with temperature, so the B-2 vanishes...

Ah, go on. Go On. GO ON!
I had the opportunity to buy 'a bone china cup that commemorates Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981' in 1982. In Durham. Missed out then, but my lack of foresight was mitigated when I eventually found this in a thrift shop:
View attachment 696964
I use a cup of coffee bought at Starbucks but if I had to choose between Charles and Paddington I would keep the bear.