The D.710-another chapter in "Les fourberies de M. Dewoitine

Badner

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
As the readers unwarily goes through the pages of Les Avions Dewoitine, largely dictated by E. himself, he would believe that the exiled French designer was always betrayed by the Argentines, the French, the Germans and the Spanish, yet a closer look at the failure of some of the designs offered, as well as his self-serving publicity easily surfaces.

Attachments

• dewoitine D.710 2 (2).jpeg
    dewoitine D.710 2 (2).jpeg
    597.9 KB · Views: 100
  • dewoitine D.710 (2).jpeg
    dewoitine D.710 (2).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

"Les fourberies de M. Dewoitine" revisited​

Kurt Tank and a number of German aviation engineers had already been contracted by the Instituto Aerotécnico, when Dewoitine on his own began work on the D.720 jet fighter, and although in the book "Les Avions Dewoitine" he claims that the Argentine government planned to erect a factory near Bahia Blanca to produce the D.720 in series,I found no such reference in either the Argentine Parliamentary record, nor in the Annual Reports of the Argentine Air Ministry, or the Instituto Aerotécnico. Me thinks Frenchmen speak with forked tongue. Even the authors of the book admit that Dewoitine was not well regarded by the Argentine authorities, and Stanley Hooker (designer of the Rolls Royce Nene engine who assisted Dewoitine in the installation of the Derwent V turbojet aboard the I.A.é 27 felt that all the Frenchman was interested was making money...

Attachments

• Dewoitine D.720 (2).jpeg
    Dewoitine D.720 (2).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • Dewoitine D.720 2 (2).jpeg
    Dewoitine D.720 2 (2).jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Dewoitine D.720 3 (2).jpeg
    Dewoitine D.720 3 (2).jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 57
Another chapter on the saga " La méchanceté de M. Dewoitine

In 1944, Émile Dewoitine went into exile in Spain charged of collaboration with Nazi Germany. After a stint in Argentina where he designed the IAe-27 Pulqui I, the first Argentine jet aircraft, and failed to interest Argentine authorities in any other designs, he returned to Spain where he joined the firm Iberavia.

In 1951, the Spanish Air Force put out a call for tender for a light transport and liaison aircraft, intended to replace the Fieseler Storch. Dornier entered the lists with the Do 25 and Iberavia with its I-18, designed by Emile Dewoitine (designated D 750). Iberavia was bought by AISA in 1952 and the I-18 was renamed AVD-12. The Do 25 and AVD-12 receive military designations XL-9 and XL-10 respectively.

Both aircraft were powered by the same engine, a 150 hp Elizalde Tigre G. IV. The AVD-12 (D.750-1 for Dewoitine) and were underpowered and resorted to the same replacement engine, a 225 hp Continental O-47OJ. The second prototype, designated AVD-12C (in the same way the Do 25 was redesignated Do 25 P2C, the C being presumably for Continental), first flew in 1956. The AVD-12C was designated D.750 -2 by Dewoitine.

The AVD-12 was of classic design: classic and fixed landing gear, high and straight wings, conventional empennage with a rounded drift but accusing an arrow.

On November or December 1956, the AVD-12C experienced a fatal accident fatal an accident in Torrejon which cost the life of pilot Demetrio Zorita (or Zurita) Alonso, who was the first Spaniard to go supersonic (on an Army aircraft French Air Force, Mystery or Mirage). This and poor access to the rear compartment caused the rejection of the AVD-12 in favor of the Do 25. The latter was however insufficient and had to evolve into the Do 27 to give full satisfaction.

Versions
AISA AVD-12: First prototype, 150 hp ENMASA Tiger G.IV engine.
AISA AVD-12C: Second prototype, 225 hp Continental O-47OJ engine.
AISA XL-10: Spanish military designation of the AVD-12.
Dewoitine D.750: Designation by its designer of the AVD-12.
Iberavia I-18: Original designation of the AVD-12, at Iberavia.

Attachments

• AISA AVD-12 (2).jpeg
    AISA AVD-12 (2).jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
After failure in Spain, Dewoitine, with the unmitigated gall that characterized him, tried to sell 200 AVD-12Cs to the Argentine government. which were to bult under license at the DINFIA (the former IAME) but, his offer was rejected as will be seen in the reply from the Argentine Secretariat of Aeronautics. According to Juann Arraez Cerda, a distinguished Spanish air historian, the AVD-12C was a bad design which was rejected in Spain, and accordingly in the Argentine.

Attachments

• AISA AVD-12 2 (2).jpeg
    AISA AVD-12 2 (2).jpeg
    995.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Dewoitine D.750: Designation by its designer of the AVD-12.
Is this a documented duplicate use of this designation?
The D.750 is known as a 3-seater naval bomber:

Attachments

• Dewoitine D-750 Triplace embarqué de torpillage et bombardement 1940.jpg
    Dewoitine D-750 Triplace embarqué de torpillage et bombardement 1940.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 45

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom