The “Nautilus” submarine in Movies and TV Series.

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Another series that tells the story of Captain Nemo is “Nautilus”, released in 2024, but as always, the most important thing for me is the submersible, because I think that the element that always attracts in any story based on the novel by Jules Vernes is the submarine, and here are the captures of the boat.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 131
  • b.png
    b.png
    697.5 KB · Views: 105
  • c.png
    c.png
    787.6 KB · Views: 88
Inreresting, that nobody seems to be able to follow Verne's original description of Nautilus - which was essentially a bland cylinder with pointed ends and small dome-shaped observaion cupola for pilot. Verne clearly based his fantastic submaine on French 1860s experimental submarine Plongeur, after all.

P.S. And when would authors get rid of those idiotic saw blades? Nautilus was equipped with rather conventional ram.

Whether it is accurate to the book or not, I find the Nautilus designed by Harper Goff for Disney’s 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea as the ultimate version.
Check out this site which lists all the different Nautilus designs in media:

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpeg
    IMG_4425.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 56
d.png Whether it is accurate to the book or not, I find the Nautilus designed by Harper Goff for Disney’s 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea as the ultimate version.
Very interesting website with a chronological inventory but I think it is missing the Nautilus from the movie "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

True! The design of the first version from the comic is shown, but the others only mentioned. The Nautilus in the film is supposed to be a second version of the sub, not the one when Nemo terrorized the seas. The film version was designed (if memory serves correctly) by matte artist supreme Harrison Ellenshaw, son of matte artist legend Peter Ellenshaw.

Last edited:
Zdeněk Burian is best known as a paleoartist (look out for his work - it's now outdated due to discoveries over the last few decades but it's still extraordinary). Here's he's illustrating 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 1937.

Attachments

• 1937 illustration for '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' by Jules Verne.jpeg
    1937 illustration for '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' by Jules Verne.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Zdeněk Burian 1905 - 1981 Illustrations for Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea 1937.jpg
    Zdeněk Burian 1905 - 1981 Illustrations for Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea 1937.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 45
  • tumblr_lswlzmXkK21r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lswlzmXkK21r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 42
  • tumblr_lswlzs4cnt1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lswlzs4cnt1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 41
  • tumblr_lswm3hr3Kf1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lswm3hr3Kf1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 39
  • tumblr_lswm30eg2A1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lswm30eg2A1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 38
  • tumblr_mcf8ecxEvh1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mcf8ecxEvh1r4w8k5o1_1280.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 45
Books are sometimes published under different titles in different markets. The book I have on his paleoart (the Verne illustrations I collected from the web) is Life Before Man, by Zdeněk Spinar, Illus. by Burian. It's an old hardcover from Thames and Hudson. A quick search on https://www.abebooks.com/ brings up a number of copies, hard and soft cover. Some good prices but check the postage.

I love that website!

Goff's Nautilus looked grand on screen, I will give Goff that much.

And in a pocket in a notebook in the other room is a 1970-something, EDIT: 1988, issue of Scale Ship Modeler with a nice article on the design, dimensioned drawings, and some very nice color photos of both the original concept model & a larger as in the movie model with interior detail.
Will have to go look at it to confirm whether or not that issue also has a radio control model in it.

Regarding the relationship between the interior and the exterior, I find this a more plausible design.

Now, granted, while I've not actually seen that stone with my very own Mk. 1 Eyeballs, I do feel it pretty safe to assert that that interior/exterior relationship is a worldwide standard entertainment media rule which is indeed written in stone.

Last edited:
Another series that tells the story of Captain Nemo is “Nautilus”, released in 2024, but as always, the most important thing for me is the submersible, because I think that the element that always attracts in any story based on the novel by Jules Vernes is the submarine, and here are the captures of the boat.
Interesting, thanks! :)

Since watching TV is not a thing I do, neurological issues make TV and cinema pretty much instant sensory overload, its existance was unknown to me.

Now, off to look at IMDb, and play in Google, to see what there is to be seen about it.

:( Ya don't suppose any of the plastic model companies would make a nice model kit of that, do ya?

I think that the element that always attracts in any story based on the novel by Jules Vernes is the submarine, and here are the captures of the boat.

Last edited:
I have a copy of that issue of Scale Ship Modeler somewhere in a closet. The late Tom Scherman was one of THE experts on all things Nautilus. This article shows how big his cutaway model of the Nautilus really was:

Inreresting, that nobody seems to be able to follow Verne's original description of Nautilus - which was essentially a bland cylinder with pointed ends and small dome-shaped observaion cupola for pilot. Verne clearly based his fantastic submaine on French 1860s experimental submarine Plongeur, after all.

P.S. And when would authors get rid of those idiotic saw blades? Nautilus was equipped with rather conventional ram.
Those saw blades are a WW1 and WW2 thing for cutting floating seaweed and ropes.

In the 1954 film “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”, a real war hero submarine was used to enhance the realism of the filmed diving scenes. This was a Balao-class submarine, the USS Redfish SS-395, which was fitted with fins to appear as Captain Nemo's Nautilus and become, for posterity, a Hollywood movie star.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 37
In the 1997 movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, starring Ben Cross as Captain Nemo, you'll notice that the Captain's crew uniform is very similar to the imperial army uniform in Star Wars, while the submarine in this edition looks plain.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 02.png
    02.png
    269.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
We have another Captain Nemo by Irwin Allan.

The Amazing Captain Nemo or The Return of Captain Nemo from 1978.
easy to find on youtube

39660440ee53cdbc3328e944d9b2f377.jpg

The first adaptation of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a silent movie from 1916, this first attempt was quite close to the novel, the submarine was normal with a simple design. However, Captain Nemo in this adaptation looked more like Santa Claus. -(
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QsrXuyjci7U
)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
What's great about the Nutilus is that it appears in two of Jules Verne's major works, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island, adding to this the flexibility of the cinema in its adaptations by modifying the rigidity of the text of the novels, which gives artistic freedom of conception resulting in machines that go beyond the vision of the author of the novel. In 1929's The Mysterious Island, the Nautilus and Captain Nemo take on another dimension, because in this modified adaptation of the original novel, Nemo takes his name of Dakkar and we see two submarines, “submersible n°1” and “submersible n°2”, designed to explore a world populated by subaquatic beings.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 00.png
    00.png
    630.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 9
  • nautilus1.jpg
    nautilus1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 7
  • nautilus2.jpg
    nautilus2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1929_mysterious_island_underwater people.jpg
    1929_mysterious_island_underwater people.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 13
In the 2010 movie “Mysterious Island”, directed by Mark Sheppard, the backdrop is still an island, but the group of survivors is lost in space and time - the island isn't deserted, it's littered with debris, and they're not alone: there are also lost modern-day people who find themselves stranded while flying over the Bermuda Triangle. Faced with pirates, terrifying creatures and the threat of an active volcano about to explode, they must find a way to survive and escape the island, and their hope of doing so comes from meeting the island's oldest resident, Captain Nemo, who helps them get off the island before the volcano explodes. In this film adaptation, we see a Nautilus with a bizarre design, always in indistinguishable dark shots, difficult to highlight the submersible. The only successful pictures I've had are from unclear captures, and I'd love to see the submarine in this movie in clear pictures.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 11
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 11
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 11
In the 2010 movie “Mysterious Island”, directed by Mark Sheppard, the backdrop is still an island, but the group of survivors is lost in space and time - the island isn't deserted, it's littered with debris, and they're not alone: there are also lost modern-day people who find themselves stranded while flying over the Bermuda Triangle. Faced with pirates, terrifying creatures and the threat of an active volcano about to explode, they must find a way to survive and escape the island, and their hope of doing so comes from meeting the island's oldest resident, Captain Nemo, who helps them get off the island before the volcano explodes. In this film adaptation, we see a Nautilus with a bizarre design, always in indistinguishable dark shots, difficult to highlight the submersible. The only successful pictures I've had are from unclear captures, and I'd love to see the submarine in this movie in clear pictures.
I can't say that it looks like nothing because the designer can't get out of the context of the sea, it's true that at first glance we have the impression that it looks like nothing but after reflection I think it's a Cuttlefish species. (https://www.vernianera.com/Nautilus/Catalog/)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 16
My Dear, Kind Sir, thank you for saving me from potentially wasting some +/- one and a half hours of my life on a movie that clearly isn't even worth the cost of the physical/electronic medium it was recorder/stored on - I am starting to think that there should be more harsh and severe castigations for rogue film makers that needlessly waste compounded audience member lifetimes with their drivel...

Last edited:
My Dear, Kind Sir, thank you for saving me from potentially wasting some +/- one and a half hours of my life on a movie that clearly isn't even worth the cost of the physical/electronic medium it was recorder/stored on - I am starting to think that there should be more harsh and severe castigations for rogue film makers that needlessly waste compounded audience member lifetimes with their drivel...
I think the theme has been exhausted and without doing any bullshit it would have been wiser to do a remake sooner than an ineptitude

Yes,I`ve had a similar problem trying to find a decent picture of the nautilus from this rather weird film from 1984 called Nemo/Dream One.
It has the abandoned Nautilus stranded on a sea shore.It bears a resemblance to the subs from Captain nemo and the underwater city.Its one of those ones wheres its bigger on the inside,it even includes a pipe organ.
Weirdly it has harvey keitel playing basically the character of zorro
View attachment 741150
View attachment 741145
View attachment 741146
View attachment 741147
Here is some information found on this website.-(http://mobilismobile.free.fr/nautilus/fiche.php?id=10)

Here is a clear picture of the submarine from the new series "Nautilus", released in 2024.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • b.png
    b.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Captain Nemo and the Nautilus also appeared in episodes 06 and 15 of “Once.Upon.a.Time” season 06.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 10
Captain Nemo and the Nautilus also appeared in episodes 06 and 15 of “Once.Upon.a.Time” season 06.
The Nautilus featured in the Once Upon a Time TV series is an inspiration that touches on the exact copy of Harper Goff's design. In my opinion, the designer didn't want to stray too far from Harper Goff's legendary Nautilus design.