Terrex Infantry Carrier Vehicle (ICV)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
A thread for variants and developments with the Singaporean Terrex Infantry Carrier Vehicle (ICV)

2560px-Terrex_Infantry_Carrier_Vehicle_AOH_2022_300522.jpg

A variant called Terrex 3 / Sentinel II was proposed for Australia's Land 400 Ph2 but was unsuccessful:

f49aff218a3353c834f6ccd125862835.jpg

c7047861-6747-4f1a-90a1-2615d3307dc3_scaled.jpg

I'm curious as to why the Terrex 2 lost the ACV program to Iveco. The complaints I've heard about the Iveco design are about seaworthiness and internal space for Marines. The design had to be useful in sea state 3, the Terrex 2 could survive sea state 4. And the Terrex 2 was praised for the space it had. I haven't seen anything as to why the BAE/Iveco was judged superior.

Frankly I think a lot of the Singapore kit is exceptional. I'm surprised they haven't had even more export success.

I'm curious as to why the Terrex 2 lost the ACV program to Iveco. The complaints I've heard about the Iveco design are about seaworthiness and internal space for Marines. The design had to be useful in sea state 3, the Terrex 2 could survive sea state 4. And the Terrex 2 was praised for the space it had. I haven't seen anything as to why the BAE/Iveco was judged superior.
A cynic would say bribes, but Iveco and a not-small chunk of BAE operate out of the US which puts the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in play. And that law is nasty about penalties, billions of dollars are not off the table!

Frankly I think a lot of the Singapore kit is exceptional. I'm surprised they haven't had even more export success.
I suspect it's more expensive than a lot of the competing stuff. For example, the Ultimax SAW is some 20% more than an FN Minimi.

A cynic would say bribes, but Iveco and a not-small chunk of BAE operate out of the US which puts the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in play. And that law is nasty about penalties, billions of dollars are not off the table!

I suspect it's more expensive than a lot of the competing stuff. For example, the Ultimax SAW is some 20% more than an FN Minimi.
Political pressure is also a thing, and Singapore doesn't tend to apply it - export sales are a good thing, but not a main priority. Things like development programs, university cooperation, these are more important to MINDEF than sales overseas, and frankly there's some major disinterest in overseas sales, especially compared to some exporters. Another factor might also be the, ah, 'black' factor. Singapore develops a lot of systems, and there's a professional interest in not revealing it. An example - the F-5S on display in the RSAF Museum has a frosted cockpit, and I've seen speculation that the HUD developed for it was advanced for the period.

1719803560740.png
Anyone have any more information about these variants? The s5 appears to be the Trooper

An example - the F-5S on display in the RSAF Museum has a frosted cockpit, and I've seen speculation that the HUD developed for it was advanced for the period.
More likely its cockpit was stripped of anything usable (and especially of anything classified) and the frosted canopy is to hide that holey cockpit from view.

More likely its cockpit was stripped of anything usable (and especially of anything classified) and the frosted canopy is to hide that holey cockpit from view.
The speculation comes from David Boey, a former Jane's writer; I've also seen things that point to some form of HUD being manufactured for it. Either way, could very well be just that, hiding the stripped out cockpit from view.
View attachment 733332
Anyone have any more information about these variants? The s5 appears to be the Trooper
Anti-Tank variant looks to have a Israeli Spike-carrying unmanned turret, and the Trooper turret seems to be the same as the Hunters, while the mortar seems to be ST Engineering's SRAMS but other than whats shown in the brochure here which I can't seem to attach which seems to be where you got that image, I've got nothing. Sorry for this unhelpful reply.

The speculation comes from David Boey, a former Jane's writer; I've also seen things that point to some form of HUD being manufactured for it. Either way, could very well be just that, hiding the stripped out cockpit from view.

Anti-Tank variant looks to have a Israeli Spike-carrying unmanned turret, and the Trooper turret seems to be the same as the Hunters, while the mortar seems to be ST Engineering's SRAMS but other than whats shown in the brochure here which I can't seem to attach which seems to be where you got that image, I've got nothing. Sorry for this unhelpful reply.
I'm pretty sure the gun on the Trooper is the Mk44 Bushmaster II, I've just been trying to figure out what gun is on the Fire Support variant. Thanks for your input though, it was helpful!

I'm pretty sure the gun on the Trooper is the Mk44 Bushmaster II, I've just been trying to figure out what gun is on the Fire Support variant. Thanks for your input though, it was helpful!
That pepper-pot muzzle brake looks like it's from the 105mm from the M8 Armored Gun System.

Which would be appropriate as a Fire Support unit.

Terrex s5 seems to refer to the entire 'Next Gen' family of vehicles.

Trooper has ST Engineering's Adder RWS 30 armed, as you say, with a MK44S (and a 7.62 mm coax).

Command (or Commander) has the ST Adder Lite RWS (GPMG, CIS50, or AGL).

Anti-Tank Guided Missile, no mention of which ATGM is on offer but, as has been said, the licensed Spike makes perfect sense.

Fire Support is to mount either a 105 or a 120 (type doesn't seem to have been announced)*
-- * These guns may represent a renewed connection between ST and CMI (just a guess, though).

Mortar would, of course, mount SRAMS.

Amphibious would be armed with an ST Adder Twin RWS.