Taiwan's conceptual stealth fighter proposal in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Ching-Kuo and AT-3 show that Taiwan has the know-how and the will to build indigenous aircraft. I wonder how they achieved STOL-by adding a separate lift fan, like on the Yak-38, TVC, F-35 style engine-fan coupling ? With two forward thrust engines it would be the world's first configuration of that type. The recent revelations of J-20 and J-31 should prompt Taiwanese officials to speed up the development of this design.

STOL != STOVL

STOL could be achieved with canards, a better wing, and TVC.

also, i don't see where it says the design is going to be twin engined. though it would seem to be likely given their other fighter choices.

Taiwan isn't developing a new fighter; they have their eyes set on the F-35.

SlowMan said:
Good luck on that. US isn't even willing to sell them the latest F-16 anymore.

2IDSGT said:
SlowMan said:

Exactly!

Taiwan has to develope a new fighter indigineously.

Obviously, certain aspects of it will be bought in, or imported.
But they have quite a bit of expertise to now kick on from the Ching Kuo.

2IDSGT said:
The US will have to at some point. The latest AESA upgrade has bought Taiwan another 15 years or so on the F-16s.

kaiserbill said:
Taiwan has to develope a new fighter indigineously.
Taiwan has neither the technology nor the financial resources to do so.

But they have quite a bit of expertise to now kick on from the Ching Kuo.
Taiwan lost the Ching Kuo expertise through layoffs and attrition.

Slowman, I understand from posts in other forums that you're from South Korea, and not from Taiwan.
Please don't take this personally, but you've posted comments like this before on other sites, without any insider knowledge or substantiation.
You're going to have to back up some of those bald statements of yours.
They've lost the Ching Kuo expertise?
What, all of it? Really? ::)

Work has been ongoing at AIDC with upgrading the initial Ching Kuo A/B to C/D standard, under the Hsiung Chang programme.
This is going on at present. Who is doing this work if "they've lost the Ching Kuo expertise"?
Taiwan has the resources and finances to put into place a follow on for the Ching Kuo.
They have the technological base to do so, too, with obvious outside help needed for engines mostly, and probably other subsystems.

What will be needed though is sustained government finance and political will, with the really expensive parts of the programmes bought in, ala the Ching Kuo programme. It's been done before, and can be done again.

kaiserbill said:
Please don't take this personally, but you've posted comments like this before on other sites, without any insider knowledge or substantiation.
Look who's talking.

They've lost the Ching Kuo expertise?
What, all of it? Really? ::)
You don't have to lose the whole, just a few holes here and there enough to disable the project.

Work has been ongoing at AIDC with upgrading the initial Ching Kuo A/B to C/D standard, under the Hsiung Chang programme.
So what happened to the original Ching Kuo airframe designers and project managers?

Who is doing this work if "they've lost the Ching Kuo expertise"?
Avionics upgrade do not need the original airframe engineers.

Taiwan has the resources and finances to put into place a follow on for the Ching Kuo.
No they don't.

Not only is Taiwan's defense budget growth stagnant at $10 billion/year for years, they are transitioning to an all volunteer force, which significantly increase salary burdens. Where would Taiwan's defense ministry find additional money to pay for additional salaries when the defense spending is not growing fast enough? Weapons procurement, of course.

They have the technological base to do so, too
Taiwan does not have a heavy industry to support a modern fighter project.

What will be needed though is sustained government finance and political will
Which doesn't exist. Thank you for showing everyone else how clueless you are on the situations of Taiwan.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4249&Itemid=386

Taiwan Weighs Defense Budget Cuts
Written by Jens Kastner
MONDAY, 20 FEBRUARY 2012

Air defense system could fall further behind China's

The Taiwanese government says it may downsize its commitment to upgrading its aging F-16 fighter jets, cutting expenditures by nearly 40 percent
, with the result that the island’s air defense system looks likely to fall further behind China’s People’s Liberation Army.

In August the Obama government refused Taiwan’s request for 66 new-generation Lockheed Martin F-16C/D jet fighters to replace other elderly planes for fear of inflaming tensions between the US and China. The US then asked the Kuomintang government to spend US$5.1 billion to upgrade the aging planes.

The package offered as consolation was comprised of advanced radars, pinpoint bomb guidance systems and a feasibility study for new engines, among other punchy items. Local media however, is speculating that Taipei will refit only some aircraft, doesn't want to replace the aircrafts' engines and even wants to scrap the smart bombs.

“If the Ma government remains committed to underfunding the F-16A/B upgrade program, it runs the risk of undermining the seriousness of their commitment to buy new F-16C/Ds” said Rupert Hammond-Chambers, the president of the US-Taiwan Business Council, an NGO that acts as a go-between between Taipei, Washington and the US defense industry. He indirectly confirmed the Taiwanese decision to not buy the new engines, but pointed out that it's what's the government wants, not the Taiwanese military.

“It is mostly a financial decision. The Taiwan Air Force would like it, but the money just isn't there at this time.”

James Holmes of the US Naval War College says Taipei should shift its focus from air force and army to the navy anyway.

“I hope Taiwan will develop capabilities that deter China while sidestepping areas where the island's armed forces can no longer compete, such as undersea warfare and, increasingly, surface and air-to-air combat,” Holmes said.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1154138/1/.html

Taiwan may seek US-made F-35 stealth jet
Posted: 19 September 2011 1932 hrs

TAIPEI: Taiwan will likely seek state-of-the-art F-35 fighter jets from the US, a top official was quoted as saying Monday, amid fears on the island that Washington may refuse to sell it F-16 jets.

"In the future Taiwan will need F-35s", Deputy Defence Minister Andrew Yang said during a visit to the United States, according to the state-owned Central News Agency.

Yang, who is attending a two-day Taiwan-US defence industry conference, said Taiwan would need the F-35s -- a fifth-generation multi-role fighter with advanced stealth capabilities -- no matter the outcome of the F-16 deal.

Asked to comment on the report, Taiwan's defence ministry spokesman David Lo reiterated Taiwan's long-stated wish that the United States provide it with sufficient defence weapons.

So far, you have posted 2 open press articles.
Both of these articles use the words "could", "might", and "will likely" as their main premise.
I mean... really. None of the conjecture in those articles is new to anyone here.

You have not actually answered any of the questions put to you Slowman.

You claimed that "Taiwan lost the Ching Kuo expertise".
You say they aren't capable of doing a Ching Kuo follow on.
Of course they are, using that programmes protocols.

I asked you not to take it personally, but you seem to have. Please don't.
This forum is fantastic..... full of knowledgable posters.
They have high standards, and would like to see you back up those broad statements.
I am interested, and as keen to learn as the next man.
Again, nothing personal but the onus is now on you to back those statements with evidence please. No personal opinions or broad statements please.

kaiserbill said:
So far, you have posted 2 open press articles.
Both of these articles use the words "could", "might", and "will likely" as their main premise.

Hell of better than your unsubstantiated claims.

I mean... really. None of the conjecture in those articles is new to anyone here.
Exactly, everyone here else knows that Taiwan does not have engineering and financial resources to put together a new fighter project right now.

I asked you not to take it personally, but you seem to have. Please don't.
That's exactly what I would like to ask you to do here. I have disproven your assertion of a new Taiwanese fighter jet project with publicly available sources, now you go dick up sources(I will take any language) to prove that Taiwan intends to start a new fighter project and has allocated billions for such a project.

I am interested, and as keen to learn as the next man.
Too bad you have nothing to teach others.

Again, nothing personal but the onus is now on you to back those statements with evidence please. No personal opinions or broad statements please.
So you cannot read Taiwanese vice defense minister's declaration that his country is interested in importing F-35s?

Topic locked because of inappropriate words between the discussion's two main protagonists.

Status
Not open for further replies.