Swiss Tank Destroyer Concept

JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Swiss firm Mowag developed a tank destroyer concept in the 1970's..any other information about why it did not go into service, or was it just a Mowag project to test interest in the concept.

Attachments

• SWISS- Mowag Tufan.jpg
    SWISS- Mowag Tufan.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 880
Thought I had something on this but can't find anything. I believe it was a design concept that (due to thin armor) never went anywhere.

I'll keep looking and see if I do have anything.

Was a commercial initiative, based on componets of the taifun/tornado IFV family (the ancestors of the Marder, also a Mowag inspired vehicle)

Attachments

• Tornado 1 e 2.jpg
    Tornado 1 e 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 588
  • Taifun.jpg
    Taifun.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 546
Managed to dig out Jane's Armor & Artillery 1981-82. Apparently only one was built as a commercial venture. Front armor could stop 25mm rounds @ 1000m, side armor 14.5mm rounds @ 500m and rear armor 14.5mm rounds @ 800m. My feeling is that this design would be fighting vehicles it had no business facing; if you miss or are outnumbered the thin armor won't save you. I can't see much of a market for it.

Just my 2 cents...

Could it have been developed as a replacement for the Swiss version of the Hetzer Jagdpanzer, which IIRC was still in service with the Swiss army until the mid to late seventies???