Stealth coatings.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I thought about posting this in the J-20 thread but maybe those posts could be duped/moved here or something.

This picture of the F-22 has always made me do a double-take. The paint doesn't seem to be the same as that on the current aircraft. And while it's obviously not making the aircraft transparent it doesn't seem to be your average paint. Thoughts?

Awaiting re-painting, or testing to measure how stealthy it still is with degraded coatings?

kcran567 said:
Awaiting re-painting, or testing to measure how stealthy it still is with degraded coatings?

Forget the gray panels and edges. I'm talking about all of that in between.

sferrin said:

It's going to be hard to do any analysis with that photo. It has some weird over exposure problems that were fixed after the fact. Look at the background along the top 15% of the photo. When you get 3/4 of the way over to the left side, it suddenly transitions from over exposed to correctly exposed. If you can get the unedited original it might give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

sublight is back said:
sferrin said:

It's going to be hard to do any analysis with that photo. It has some weird over exposure problems that were fixed after the fact. Look at the background along the top 15% of the photo. When you get 3/4 of the way over to the left side, it suddenly transitions from over exposed to correctly exposed. If you can get the unedited original it might give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

Wish I could but that was the only copy I've ever seen of that shot (and it was from 1999). The port vertical stab almost looks translucent.

Translucent, S?

Are you suggesting some form of 'cuttlefish' (if not 'Philadelphia') type of effect is in use?

J.A.W. said:
Translucent, S?

Are you suggesting some form of 'cuttlefish' (if not 'Philadelphia') type of effect is in use?

No, I said it almost looked translucent, not that it was.

I get that S, but I am asking, is it an 'active*' effect & not just paint, or even a reactive (tonal) light response?

* akin to the Rorschach face mask in the 'Watchmen' flick.

sferrin said:
I thought about posting this in the J-20 thread but maybe those posts could be duped/moved here or something.

This picture of the F-22 has always made me do a double-take. The paint doesn't seem to be the same as that on the current aircraft. And while it's obviously not making the aircraft transparent it doesn't seem to be your average paint. Thoughts?

1. Photo has been heavily altered.
2. Aircraft is in primer that was used earlier in the program (1997-1998ish).
3. Aircraft is not wearing any stealth coatings.

IF you ever watch the movie "Armageddon", there is a scene at EDW where the drill crew is introduced to NASA/USAF's "best astronauts". Those guys are (mostly) the F-22 test team at the time.

A "new" coating?

This may yet be a re-discovery. If truly new---maybe a way to give stealth to more conventional airframes?

Space skin

Last edited: