Stealth Aircraft + External Fuel Tanks/ CFTs?

VTOLicious

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Recently it was revealed that the F-22 will receive stealthy external fuel tanks.
F22-upgrades.jpeg

However, what if external fuel tanks would be considered in the design of a LO-airframe from the onset?

Could such a fuel tank keep the impact on the RCS to the absolute minimum, or maybe wouldn't have an impact on RCS at all?
Maybe something like the F-15 CFTs? Or rather wing mounted tanks (CFTs?) that can be jettisoned as necessary?
Would it be worth to consider?
Are there any public available studies?

Last edited:
And then comes the all too obvious question: could you hide an AIM-174 in such tanks ?

This thread is first and foremost about fuel tanks and not about pods to carry missiles. However, I think everyone may agree such fuel tank pods could be used for other purposes as well.

Last edited:
I think side mounted CFTs like on the F-15 would be most useful. In contrast to dorsal mounted CFTs (e.g. F-16) the installation/removal is easier. And, in relation to the post above, they could be exchanged with weapon bays pods as well, if increased weapons loadout if prioritized over extended range/endurance.

Attachments

• 1280px-F-15E_CFT.jpg
    1280px-F-15E_CFT.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 22
I think side mounted CFTs like on the F-15 would be most useful. In contrast to dorsal mounted CFTs (e.g. F-16) the installation/removal is easier. And, in relation to the post above, they could be exchanged with weapon bays pods as well, if increased weapons loadout if prioritized over extended range/endurance.
You'd have to make the side-mounted CFTs not interfere with any weapons bay doors. And not interfere with any landing gear doors.

So I think the F-35 would require CFTs on top of the airframe, not on the sides. F-22 might be able to have some smaller CFTs on the sides, or CFTs at least twice that size on top.

You'd have to make the side-mounted CFTs not interfere with any weapons bay doors. And not interfere with any landing gear doors.

So I think the F-35 would require CFTs on top of the airframe, not on the sides. F-22 might be able to have some smaller CFTs on the sides, or CFTs at least twice that size on top.

I'm not talking about retrofits. I made this thread to discuss options to include it in the design from the onset.
Would it be worth to consider for one of the 6th generation fighters currently in development (NGAD, GCAP,...)?

What prevents you from immediately making a more complete fuselage and not hanging these "crutches"?
You could ask the same question for legacy combat aircraft. Additional fuel tanks are means to extend range / endurance as required (without being dependent on a tanker aircraft).

In my opinion, there is no place for conformal tanks in the Raptor design. It's physically impossible. The only way out is to replace the wing with the possibility of suspension of four external tanks, as was originally intended

In my opinion, there is no place for conformal tanks in the Raptor design. It's physically impossible. The only way out is to replace the wing with the possibility of suspension of four external tanks, as was originally intended
I agree. This conclusion is basically the reason for this thread's existence :)
I used the Raptor as an example, which did NOT take CFTs into account in its design.
But if we design a new stealth fighter, what would be the best solution?

To lay down the required internal volumes at the early stages of design. Su-27, tank capacity 30%, range 3680 km. Su-35S, the volume of electronic equipment has been reduced, the brake shield has been removed, and the volume of tanks has been increased by two tons. The range of action, with a higher take-off weight, is increased by 9%
The external theoretical outline has not changed much. RCS, without external weapon suspensions, reduced by half

I agree. This conclusion is basically the reason for this thread's existence :)
I used the Raptor as an example, which did NOT take CFTs into account in its design.
Well if Raptor would have a landing gear that does not go trought the CFT space it would work. Or they CFT has a door for the landing gear/ a door for the landing gear and the original door for it.
But if we design a new stealth fighter, what would be the best solution?
For example a landing gear like hornets which is stored "vertical" in the fuselage and not like F-22's which goes horizontal into the Wing. 1000047283.jpg 1000047284.jpg

Well if Raptor would have a landing gear that does not go trought the CFT space it would work. Or they CFT has a door for the landing gear/ a door for the landing gear and the original door for it.

For example a landing gear like hornets which is stored "vertical" in the fuselage and not like F-22's which goes horizontal into the Wing.
Exactly.

There is actually a stealth airframe out there with a main landing gear arrangement that would theoretically allow the installation of F-15 style CFTs...
20240718_192524.jpg

For instance, internal carrige of weapons was proposed for the Silent Eagle...
View attachment 735065
There's very little fuel in that one, however. The IWBs eat almost all the volume that holds fuel in the standard CFTs. There's volume for fuel at the very front, and at the back (though I'm not sure the standard CFTs hold fuel that far back).