uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
While visiting the Fireball XL5 thread on Facebook I have the BBC Radio news trying to explain what is happening to get two astronauts down from the International Space Station.
Flipping to an old episode of Stargate SG1 I listen to the USAF heroes explaining to a bemusec Extra Terrestrial ally that the Earth does not have spaceships able to defend against an oncoming alien force but it does have Shuttles!
Not any more we don't.
In the sixty years since my younger self gawped at Steve Zodiac piloting his craft into space after a dramatic sled launch Space has become, as so much else, boring and even embarassing. While our competition (mods might object to opponents) land on the back of the Moon the white hats cannot even get to orbit and back. Where is Jack O'Neill when you need him?

While visiting the Fireball XL5 thread on Facebook I have the BBC Radio news trying to explain what is happening to get two astronauts down from the International Space Station.
Flipping to an old episode of Stargate SG1 I listen to the USAF heroes explaining to a bemusec Extra Terrestrial ally that the Earth does not have spaceships able to defend against an oncoming alien force but it does have Shuttles!
Not any more we don't.
In the sixty years since my younger self gawped at Steve Zodiac piloting his craft into space after a dramatic sled launch Space has become, as so much else, boring and even embarassing. While our competition (mods might object to opponents) land on the back of the Moon the white hats cannot even get to orbit and back. Where is Jack O'Neill when you need him?
At the time of Fireball XL5, popular science publications for young people described Venus as a swamp full of dinosaurs and Mars as a dying planet that was home to a civilization technologically more advanced than our own. The science of that time believed that the formation of planets in other stars was a very unusual event that required two stars to almost collapse as they passed close to each other generating the planetary cloud.

Nuclear energy would generate endless wealth replacing oil and it was believed that it would only be a matter of time, propulsion power and speed to colonize all the worlds of the solar system... with atomic engines.

We now know that Venus is hell, Mars lacks a magnetic field that makes colonization unfeasible, and the Moon lacks heavy metals on the surface.

There is no good reason to spend huge sums on a dangerous trip to Mars without having anti-radiation technology, without having developed a rotating artificial gravity technology and what is most shameful: using the same engines as the V-2 rockets.

In return we now know that extrasolar planets are almost infinite, but there is not a single physicist in the world who dares to take on Einstein's theories... for fear of the ostracism of the single established thought.

For these reasons, the producers of Science Fiction series have abandoned spaceships in exchange for stargates... much cheaper and medieval universes, much more to the liking of environmental activists.

Attachments

• 0cf2da83cb23978a4e547e4df7a5fd98.jpg
    0cf2da83cb23978a4e547e4df7a5fd98.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7
  • swirling-galaxy-with-bright-stars_9975-33006.jpg
    swirling-galaxy-with-bright-stars_9975-33006.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 15343498349_ddc63215db_o-600x902.jpg
    15343498349_ddc63215db_o-600x902.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 5
In retirement, letting his buddy Elon surpass the US government in space development.
He is still at JPF 351K, his group has not been able to return because of a software failure.