VictorXL188

Former Aviation journalist/writer
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the post war section, but it is possible, given it's title that it may be a interwar project. I came across this proposal from Short Bros for an eight-engined long range flying boat. I have checked throughout the site but without any luck. Wonder if anyone can fill in the missing info.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1726464277314.jpg
    FB_IMG_1726464277314.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 91
Looks postwar, what with the contraprops. I wonder if it's an alternative to the Saro Princess?
Where did you find it?

Chris

I'm posting this in the post war section, but it is possible, given it's title that it may be a interwar project. I came across this proposal from Short Bros for an eight-engined long range flying boat. I have checked throughout the site but without any luck. Wonder if anyone can fill in the missing info.
It looks like a kind of synthesis this machine ! A profile of Martin 170 elongated, a section of Saro Princess ... With its 70.10 m span we are "pile-poil" in the class of the Brabazon, another terrestrial octomotor of the same time ! True or false project ? Simple proposal or in the framework of a call for tenders ? The silhouette is beautiful but we know since that the future was no longer to this kind of means of transport ...

Attachments

• LONG STAGE EMPIRE FLYING BOAT.jpg
    LONG STAGE EMPIRE FLYING BOAT.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 83
This appears to be the same aircraft described on Page 161 of Stuck on the Drawing Board by Richard Payne, in which he mentions a Shorts project for a "Long Stage Empire Flying Boat" from 1946, with accommodation for 106 day/night passengers. It is described as having eight engines, a hull length of 152 feet, and a wingspan of 232 feet, which matches up nicely with the drawing and data provided.

There were no schematics or pictures of this project in the book however, so it's nice to see a three-view of this project! Thanks for posting it!

Looking at similar designs we have, Saunders Roe Princess, Blackburn Clydesman, Scottish Aviation Transatlantic and Short Long Stage Empire flying boat. I wonder if there was an issued specification ? (Brabazon Committee ?) or a general percieved need post WW.II

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom