Red Aviation A03 V12 diesel engine

Hobbes

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I came across this engine, which is used in the Celera 500L, but is also offered for other applications (I've seen a DHC Beaver and a crop duster):

cropped-PR-RED-A03-EASA-550-PS-engine-768x461.jpg

It's a 6.1 l V12, twin turbo diesel engine. Rated at 550 or 600 shp.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2WZJJ5IzMU

Just before the conflict in Ukraine broke out in 2014, Russia had teamed up with Diamond to develop a light all composite commuter aircraft that was going to utilize an upgraded version of the Red diesel engine.The project later fell apart due to sanctions imposed on Russia. I'm not sure if they would have used this exact model, but it would have been interesting to see how the engine would have compared to a Lycoming in operational service.

Edit: Apologies , it appears that they were going to use a different diesel engine.

They are using a Red V-12 engine for this project. Now whether the market is clamoring for a JU-52 NEO is up for debate. A few might get built for airshow and sightseeing flights but thats about it. Ever since that fatal JU-52 sightseeing flight that killed all aboard thay have been looking for a solution that allows them to continue these flights with an acceptable margin of safety.