Reasons behind jet engines spinner shape

Ronny

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Like the title said, why do they have different nose shape?
AL-31
A6082613-149B-4735-826C-BB5C3D5E2271.jpeg

F-135 engine
867C0BBA-2CDB-4EEC-A1BE-54A85207A757.jpeg

F-135 might be accommodating LO requirements as well as air flow requirements. Early F100s have a different shape to later ones.

Seems to me that the sharper cone takes up smaller space. Not sure if that had anything to do with the design.

Now early Soviet jets being Whittles?-might have needed blunt designs-and habit kept that look?

I'm not sure, but I think one reason the Volvo RM12 got a pointy cone was to increase bird strike resistance. The F404 has a blunt cone. The other reason was probably increased airflow.

Spinner shape is largely a question of OEM preference I think - it does have a bearing on things like FOD rejection round the core and (especially in airliners) ice accumulation, but you can execute a successful design either way. Which is also why you see manufacturers sometimes switching between styles (basic AL-31F is blunt but 117S is pointed, or F110 and F404, as eagle mentions). It's definitely not a Russian vs. US thing.

Last edited:
Spinner shape is largely a question of OEM preference I think - it does have a bearing on things like FOD rejection round the core and (especially in airliners) ice accumulation, but you can execute a successful design either way. Which is also why you see manufacturers sometimes switching between styles (basic AL-31F is blunt but 117S is pointed, or F101 and F404, as eagle mentions). It's definitely not a Russian vs. US thing.
Now it sound like old jet engines have blunt nose and newer one have pointy nose

Spinner shape is largely a question of OEM preference I think - it does have a bearing on things like FOD rejection round the core and (especially in airliners) ice accumulation, but you can execute a successful design either way. Which is also why you see manufacturers sometimes switching between styles (basic AL-31F is blunt but 117S is pointed, or F101 and F404, as eagle mentions). It's definitely not a Russian vs. US thing.
Now it sound like old jet engines have blunt nose and newer one have pointy nose
GE4 (SST) and J58 both had blunt.

For military engines that may well be the case, possibly due to RCS considerations, as Paul suggests. In the civilian world though, spinner shape has almost been characteristic enough to tell the engine manufacturer by in the past 30 years or so. P&W is blunt, GE short & pointy, RR long & pointy (almost conical). Ukraine's Progress is very RR-ish, Russia's Aviadvigatel GE-ish.

Exercise for the reader: can you tell, at a glance, which joint-venture partner was responsible for the design of the fan module on the Engine Alliance GP7200 and IAE V2500, respectively ;)?

Lots of considerations:
- strength/weight. Round is probably stronger
- anti-ice system design
- inner flow path shape
- bird strike capability
- stealth shaping
- mounting system
- bearing compartment shape underneath
- sensor mounting (F100-220/229 Ps2 probe)