Raytheon Coyote interceptors

Isn't it simpler to use something akin to APKWS?

Does APKWS have the kinematics to engage a manouevring target? It's basically a straight-line weapon with course-correction, rather than a dogfight weapon.

I thought that thing got cancelled. (2.75" LG rocket.) :confused:
There was a laser-guided Zuni (5" rocket) as well but no idea if it ever went into production.

The original APKWS was cancelled, but 70mm APKWS II is fielded and operational in fairly large numbers (tens of thousands of rounds procured).

That's great to hear. When I read it was cancelled (must have been an old article talking about the first phase) it blew my mind that they'd cancel a mod that was so simple with so much bang for the buck.

That's great to hear. When I read it was cancelled (must have been an old article talking about the first phase) it blew my mind that they'd cancel a mod that was so simple with so much bang for the buck.

Turns out the original Raytheon version didn't work very well. The new version seems much better.

There are a couple others out there as well. DAGR is a Hellfire-compatible system (4 DAGR for one Hellfire). LOGIR has imaging IR instead of semi-active laser homing, ideal for engaging small boat swarms.

Those will be handy for shooting down the likes of Shaheed drones.
Think these are for ground attacks (there was video of one firing 2 rockets at a Russian position in a tree break recently, alomg with danger close video from Ukrainian's who were 50 yards away from impact. The unit seem does not have a laser or E/O turret to guide the rockets, relying on designation from another source. This is quite different from the Vampire version that has the launcher and E/O turret mounted onboard.

Think these are for ground attacks (there was video of one firing 2 rockets at a Russian position in a tree break recently, alomg with danger close video from Ukrainian's who were 50 yards away from impact. The unit seem does not have a laser or E/O turret to guide the rockets, relying on designation from another source. This is quite different from the Vampire version that has the launcher and E/O turret mounted onboard.
.yes familiar w that scene and had pointed out is another thread how these things were provided for for AD and were instead apparently being used for ground atk.

.yes familiar w that scene and had pointed out is another thread how these things were provided for for AD and were instead apparently being used for ground atk.
Different vehicles. The Vampire were on commercial pickups. This is something else, its using the same rocket pod but mounted on a HMMVW.

Different vehicles. The Vampire were on commercial pickups. This is something else, its using the same rocket pod but mounted on a HMMVW.
Needs to be pointed out that that type of HMMVW?

The bed is basically within commercial pickup truck dimensions with all the same hook up points in roughly the same area and the like.

Basically since the Vampire rig can fit in multiple different models of full size pickups it be able to fit in a HMMVW no issue.

So you cannot use the vehicle it mount on to tell you if its the same or not.

Especially since going by L3harris site you can remove the E/O turret for use as a dumb rocket slinger...

Vampire, and all it controversy has been in the press for sometime but the above is the only and recent press of the ground attack. This new Ukr capability never made the regular defense press nor ADefense's media website.

Raytheon Co., El Segundo, California, was awarded a $196,719,957 cost-plus-fixed-fee contract for Coyote Interceptors. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work will be performed in Dulles, Virginia, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 30, 2027. Fiscal 2024 aircraft procurement, Army funds in the amount of $196,719,957 were obligated at the time of the award. Army Contracting Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, is the contracting activity (W31P4Q-24-C-0018).

This contract award on September 26th doesn't specify whether these are for block II or block III interceptors, which are entirely different interceptors. The award is almost certainly not for block I.

In a contracting notice earlier this year, the Army stated their intention to procure 6,000 block II interceptors and 700 block III interceptors.

Block II interceptors are jet-powered proximity fuse kinetic interceptors, while block III interceptors are reusable interceptors with short loiter times and a non-kinetic (EW, HPM, etc.) effector and reusability.

I wasn't able to find a credible source for the cost of a block II interceptor, but I've seen estimates of $100k - $150k per interceptor. This makes a block II interceptor slightly cheaper than a Stinger.

Assuming the $196M buy is for the block II interceptors, this contract would purchase 1300 - 2000 block II interceptors.

$100k per interceptor to take out a $5k or $10k drone isn't scalable or sustainable. I hope the army can get this cost per kill down with systems like the block III interceptor and other non-kinetic effectors.

$100k per interceptor to take out a $5k or $10k drone isn't scalable or sustainable. I hope the army can get this cost per kill down with systems like the block III interceptor and other non-kinetic effectors.

Why would the Army require a 555+ top speed, 15 km range, networked weapon against a $5 K or $10K drone? The Army has 30 mm guns, EW, other non-kinetic options and Block 1 interceptors (that it is refurbishing and life-extending) for that purpose. Not to mention that we've pushed out quite a bit of lower cost CsUAS gear into CENTCOM that doesn't cost that much per kill. That said, there are higher end small and larger (Group 3-4) UAS that cannot be dealt with without requiring greater stand off range, speed and higher altitude coverage. The Coyote block II+ is optimized to defeat those.

A DJI Mavic or an FPV drone is not exactly the requirements driver for something like the block 2 Coyote.

Block II interceptors are jet-powered proximity fuse kinetic interceptors, while block III interceptors are reusable interceptors with short loiter times and a non-kinetic (EW, HPM, etc.) effector and reusability.
I have seen no reference of the Block 3 having a EW warhead. It is known to have a HPM warhead. Do you have a source for that more traditional EW payload?

Attachments

• 015A6043-scaled.jpeg
    015A6043-scaled.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 8663730.jpg
    8663730.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 8663732.jpg
    8663732.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 7923983.jpg
    7923983.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Why would the Army require a 555+ top speed, 15 km range, networked weapon against a $5 K or $10K drone? The Army has 30 mm guns, EW, other non-kinetic options and Block 1 interceptors (that it is refurbishing and life-extending) for that purpose. Not to mention that we've pushed out quite a bit of lower cost CsUAS gear into CENTCOM that doesn't cost that much per kill. That said, there are higher end small and larger (Group 3-4) UAS that cannot be dealt with without requiring greater stand off range, speed and higher altitude coverage. The Coyote block II+ is optimized to defeat those.

A DJI Mavic or an FPV drone is not exactly the requirements driver for something like the block 2 Coyote.
It's a matter of range and stopping the attack further out is my guess.

It's a matter of range and stopping the attack further out is my guess.
Yes but think larger Group 2 and Group 3 drones and not quadcopters or cheap FPV drones. Of course tactically you will use the solution that makes the best sense, and not necessarily the one that is the lowest cost. But my point was related to what led the Army to ask for a much faster, longer ranged, more precise, and networked weapon which is responsible for the cost increase. The next gen CUAS weapon will be even faster than the block 2+ Coyote and is chasing a higher performing Group 3/4 UAS threat. There are other things addressing the smaller, and cheaper UAS threat (kinetic) with many more available should the Army wish to add to its arsenal.

Attachments

• 1726650150625.jpeg
    1726650150625.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes but think larger Group 2 and Group 3 drones and not quadcopters or cheap FPV drones. Of course tactically you will use the solution that makes the best sense, and not necessarily the one that is the lowest cost. But my point was related to what led the Army to ask for a much faster, longer ranged, more precise, and networked weapon which is responsible for the cost increase. The next gen CUAS weapon will be even faster than the block 2+ Coyote and is chasing a higher performing Group 3/4 UAS threat. There are other things addressing the smaller, and cheaper UAS threat (kinetic) with many more available should the Army wish to add to its arsenal.
It's a case of how many drones are coming your way TBH. Autocannons and laser are okay if there's only a few, but if there are 100+ you don't really want to wait until the last 2km to start engaging. HPM is great unless the enemy has some kind of counter. The other problem is that even if you successfully shoot down all the drones, if they got within 2km they may have spotted several artillery pieces, counter battery radars and other expensive stuff (like your autocannon, laser and HPM system) that can then be shelled.

It's a case of how many drones are coming your way TBH. Autocannons and laser are okay if there's only a few, but if there are 100+ you don't really want to wait until the last 2km to start engaging. HPM is great unless the enemy has some kind of counter. The other problem is that even if you successfully shoot down all the drones, if they got within 2km they may have spotted several artillery pieces, counter battery radars and other expensive stuff (like your autocannon, laser and HPM system) that can then be shelled.
If you desire to kinetically engage and shoot down small Group 1 drones at 10-15 km then you should be looking to pay a cost exchange ratio of 10-100 to one. Its that simple. 2-5 km slant range makes it a little cheaper but still looking at 5-10 x the cost of the lower end G1 UAS's. Trying to detect and track something that small (most CsUAS sensors with tactical vehicle SwaPc optimization have tracking ranges of 2-5 km against those threats) and then engage it at SO distances is a foolish proposition.

Luckily, the Army and the DOD at large is focusing on much shorter ranged, lower cost kinetic solutions against that threat which allows you to affordably field mass which is what is required since these systems have proliferated beyond just one off systems. You are better off defeating these at range via non kinetic means. Like having a HPM effector with long loiter time (LM Morfius) etc. That's the only way to build up inventory to keep pace with the scale that the threat will proliferate at. You can't "Coyote" your way to solving the Group 1 defeat mission.

HPM is great unless the enemy has some kind of counter.

In that case, can you provide some examples of a HPM and HEL negating Group 1 UAS and what performance specifications it possesses? And how much of the HPM and HEL effect is it able to negate? and how it does it..and what type of HPM and HEL systems has it been demonstrated against?

There is no such thing as free lunch as the saying goes. You are talking about small Group 1 systems in the 1-6 lb class. There are limits to the sort of protection you can add to them before they become tactically useless.

Last edited:
A Coyote 2 allegedly costs $100k (around 5x a Group 1 UAS - $20k) and has a 10-15km range plus the versatility to tackle larger drones. Will HPM work against fibre optic cable drones?

But yeah, APKWS is probably better for a ranged hard kill against Group 1 stuff, if range is essential. I get my UAS groupings confused. Against a Shahed ($290k) it makes sense.

Last edited:
A Coyote 2 allegedly costs $100k (around 5x a Group 1 UAS - $20k) and has a 10-15km range plus the versatility to tackle larger drones. Will HPM work against fibre optic cable drones?
Tactical Group 1 UAS systems can cost anywhere from $500 to $25K and beyond (US systems cost between $25K and $100K). You can even have a thermal imager equipped G1 UAS that costs less than $5K.

Why will HPM not work on fibre optic cable drones? HPM is penetrating and going after all electronic components not focusing on RF communication channels used to control drone.