Publiusr reusable launch vehicles ideas

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
I have a copy of the painting signed by all the team members as a leaving gift. Somewhere.
I would like to see that.

O/T might there be a winged fly-back lighter than a Falcon Heavy core?

The upper bracing carrying a tail-wheel with a fold-out wing right above the engines in place of the landing legs...engine-block looking like a giant radial as it becomes the nose upon returning to land on an island, say?

BTW Gary Hudson will likely need your help on his latest spaceplane effort. Phys.org talks about a new alloy that becomes stronger in the presence of cryogenics. CrCoNi...a HEA.

Well the falcon 9 takes 40 tons more or less fuel for drone ship landing.
If you want to make it a winged glider with no fuel and to land on a runway no idea if you can do al the booster strengthening,the wing and the landing gear for that mass
Huh?
a. it is less than 30 tons (27 or so)
b. A winged booster with no fuel is useless. It can't land on a barge. It needs propellant to get it back to the launch site/runway
C. Falcon 9 can use that propellant to ensure success on a bad day or to lift more payload for an expended mission.

Huh?
a. it is less than 30 tons (27 or so)
b. A winged booster with no fuel is useless. It can't land on a barge. It needs propellant to get it back to the launch site/runway
C. Falcon 9 can use that propellant to ensure success on a bad day or to lift more payload for an expended mission.
Why fuel to return to launch site.
A winged booster could also take a ballistic trajectory and land on a runway downrange and return to the launch site some other way(not ideal i admit)

Why fuel to return to launch site.
A winged booster could also take a ballistic trajectory and land on a runway downrange and return to the launch site some other way(not ideal i admit)
no downrange sites. That is why the Falcon 9 boosters land on barges. there isn't enough energy for wings to extend to land masses.

Well, if you launch from Mobile Alabama, a winged fly-back might coast along Florida's Gulf-facing peninsula until it finds a landing strip and bank towards it--not boost back squid to spook Florida Man.

A couple of things of note in phys.org today:

--one article is called "Researchers debut novel manifold design theory" on the report entitled "A compact, low-pressure manifold with uniform flow at low Reynolds numbers."

-the other article being entitled "Engineers create concentrated alloy for use as a high temperature coating for hydrogen combustion engines."
This was in regards to a MATERIALS TODAY paper about "A novel entropy-stabilized oxide coating thermally grown from a valve metal-based complex concentrated alloy."

The manifold described in the former article is of flat triangular build--which, when lined with the coating described in the second paper---makes me wonder if a return to linear aerospikes might be had, even if free from X-33/VentureStar's other problems...once again making me wonder if the big Bono saucer might yet be doable.

Last edited: