Precursor of 280mm M65 Atomic Cannon

masqqqq

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I'm looking for technical data, drawings, pictures or links about first prototype M65 Atomic Gun. As I know this cannon had caliber 240mm with a longer barrel. Photo attached below.

3494661.jpg

I found that this is 240 mm T-1 gun produced by Watervleit Arsenal, New York about 1950. It is exposed in Virginia War Museum now .
ar240t1.jpg

ar240t1.jpg

Anybody knows something about the parameters: range of fire for example etc.

Does any one know what support equipment went with the atomic cannon?
I guess some power source, a munitions vehicle etc
Did I see some where radar equipment?

thanks

mistedupagain said:
Does any one know what support equipment went with the atomic cannon?
I guess some power source, a munitions vehicle etc
Did I see some where radar equipment?

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwx5UpOeBE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noGWQ2R5B-w&feature=related

While it doesnt compare to a modern 155, it was a surprisingly mobile weapon for what ought to have been a railway rifle.

I believe the basis for the US Army gun was a German Railway gun - the 28-cm Kanone 5 (Eisenbahn). Rather than mount their version on a railway, they put a large road truck at either end of the gun chassis

ultrasabre said:
I believe the basis for the US Army gun was a German Railway gun - the 28-cm Kanone 5 (Eisenbahn). Rather than mount their version on a railway, they put a large road truck at either end of the gun chassis

Idd, I've often thought their chassis to look quite similar.

I've just read, that it was planned to transport the german 28cm K5 railway gun in
three parts, each towed by two Tiger II chassis, to achieve greater mobility and
better protection against air attack. Nevertheless the gun would have still to be
assembled, unlike the M65.
Photo from the CD "Deutsche Eisenbahngeschütze/Schwere Mörser" (German heavy
railway guns/heavy mortars)

Attachments

• EK_28K5.jpg
    EK_28K5.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 61