Please Try to Name this Experimental Biplane

Romantic Technofreak

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi forum,

in the modern section, Mr. Stargazer told me this aicraft might be old although it looks "modern" to me. So I do another try here, I hope it is ok.

So, the general outline says "about 1930". But the cowling looks unusual for an aircraft of this period of time, maybe covering a "modern" engine. As well unusual for ~1930 is the angular tailfin. Finally, the cars in the background say the picture was taken around 1980 or a bit earlier. That's why I meant somebody created a "new" biplane.

But who did? If you know manufacturer and type designation, please tell us. Thank you!

Regards, RT

Attachments

• Unknown_Plane6 XUsenet.jpg
    Unknown_Plane6 XUsenet.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 95
Hi forum,

in the modern section, Mr. Stargazer told me this aicraft might be old although it looks "modern" to me. So I do another try here, I hope it is ok.

So, the general outline says "about 1930". But the cowling looks unusual for an aircraft of this period of time, maybe covering a "modern" engine. As well unusual for ~1930 is the angular tailfin. Finally, the cars in the background say the picture was taken around 1980 or a bit earlier. That's why I meant somebody created a "new" biplane.

But who did? If you know manufacturer and type designation, please tell us. Thank you!

Regards, RT
"Experimental" under the cockpit indicates no doubt an amateur design. Without trace of the registration it is difficult to find its origin ...

In the unlikely event that it might help, I wonder if the presence of what appears to be a (functional?) radiator below the nose of that amateur-built machine could mean that its design was inspired by a Travel Air 2000 or something similar.

I also wonder if there might be registration letters and numbers, starting with a C perhaps, under the lower wing on the left side of the image.

Thank you for your answers. I think I must go homebuiltairplanes.com. The shown one is not the only homebuilt in my collection which is still to name.

Best regards,
RT

Replica???
I don't think so. If you carefully compare struts, undercarriage legs and empennage shape, you see differences. It might be a replica as well, but not one of the Curtiss A-38. But thanks for answering.

Regards, RT

To me it looks like a replica of the Stearman C-1 sport plane. However, the experimental aircraft looks a lot smaller. Also a version/modification/replica of the Great Lakes 2T is a possibility.

Attachments

• Stearman C1.jpg
    Stearman C1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Great Lakes 2T.jpg
    Great Lakes 2T.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
This may be an auto conversion engine with a gear reduction system. Inlet at the top is for the carburetor. Radiator or oil cooler extended below fuselage. Possibly a V-6 cylinder engine.

Attachments

• Engine view.jpg
    Engine view.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 26