Phil Buttler has passed away

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

Some sad news I'm afraid - my great friend Phil Butler died last Thursday. It is possible that not too many forum members will have dealt with him, he was much more involved with Air-Britain, but you may know his superb books such as War Prizes and Air Arsenal North America.

He started his great interest in aviation history with the enthusiasts group based in Liverpool, and then later his involvement in the field of recording aviation history and records was very much in support of Air-Britain.

It is impossible to state strongly enough just how much Phil helped me over the last 20+ years. His knowledge of British aviation was incredible! In particular with serial and airframe histories, Liverpool Airport and its predecessors, captured aircraft, and gliders. He could look at the most basic and bare photo, with minimum reference points, and say straight away where it was taken, along with the date and which units would have been based there. An extraordinary memory and record.

Fortunately, I can say that his archive has been saved. But I miss his company and advice at Air Fairs, IPMS and other aviation events. Phil was one of the best!

For anyone who might have known Phil, his funeral will be at Cheltenham Crematorium on Monday 14th October at 1.30pm.

Thank You.

TONY BUTTLER

I have rarely met a nicer and more generous man than Phil. Generous with advice, generous with his knowledge, generous with his photo collection (which was enormous) and always keen to help us young 'uns.

My abiding memory of Phil is in a pub in Cheltenham when I handed him his copy of War Prizes, hot off the press. Phil grinned like a Cheshire cat and didn't say a word for an hour while he leafed through it. 'Very good' was his verdict.

I'll miss him.

Chris

RIP, the constant flow of life takes another prize beyond the great barrier.

My condolences to his friends, gone but never forgotten.

Sad news indeed, I met Phil a couple of times at IMPS. A nice chap and extraordinarily helpful.
His encyclopaedic knowledge will sorely be missed and it's hard to overstate the impact he has had over the last 40-50 years for aviation research and publications in the UK.