Northrop / McDonnell Douglas F-23 for DCS World by BDF

BDF

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
View: https://youtu.be/-XiDAas3S2Q?si=rPf-v4oQ_vDS8uTk

Teaser trailer for the work I have been doing for the F-23A "mod" for DCS World. All images are from in game with no post capture processing (but YouTube does degrade the quality a bit.). Still a work in progress and hoping to release it this year.

Note: a mod is a free to use modification that allows addition of extra aircraft and other assets.

With drawings readily available I wonder why cannon is on opposite side and its cover is shaped different?
I also would get rid off panel lines like these that just absent on prototype - they may be cool looking but absolutely weird in terms of rationale design

Attachments

• F-23AT~1-.jpg
    F-23AT~1-.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 65
Because the cannon is clearly marked and shown as on the right side? Also there is no indication of what the gun door would look like. As far as the panels are concerned, there are some panels shown and these are reproduced on the model. The rest have been made up but tried to base them on what the known panels look like, the the equipment behind them and using the F-22 as a reference. I am happy with how they turned out.

Attachments

• cannon_right_side.png
    cannon_right_side.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 57
Looking good BDF. I like the bay opening animation, cannot wait until release.
Thanks. Other details are in there too such as the retractable anti-collision lights, operating APU doors and the engine nozzle flaps have a start/shut down animation that drives them to a extreme open position on shut down just as the F-22's do.

Because the cannon is clearly marked and shown as on the right side? Also there is no indication of what the gun door would look like.
didn't notice dotted line and comment, sorry

Attachments

• 1718374417648.png
    1718374417648.png
    23 KB · Views: 48
didn't notice dotted line and comment, sorry
no worries. That panel you showed is for avionics bay access. It's hard to see clearly but attached shows it's outline. Plus if you look at the door compared to the muzzle it wouldn't work. The reason we made the muzzle door so long is because the projectiles would not clear the forward of the muzzle bay and would hit the aircraft if the door was the size of the the F-22's muzzle door for instance.

Attachments

• avionics_rack.png
    avionics_rack.png
    353 KB · Views: 34
  • gun door.png
    gun door.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 55
Yes, shame on me. Checked with Spadoni's sketches.

A few more in game images. I should note that the cockpit image is distorted because of it being viewed in 2D. In 3D (VR) it is properly proportioned.

Attachments

• F23_cockpit.png
    F23_cockpit.png
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • morning_takeoff.png
    morning_takeoff.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • morning_takeoff_2.png
    morning_takeoff_2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33