Next Chinese aircraft carrier - Type 002 'Shandong' and Type 003 'Fujian'

My understanding is that optical spysats (KH-11s and others) are in polar orbits, so that helps coverage; but still, orbits are fixed and unflexible, and hours can pass between overflying the same spot twice.

Meanwhile a carrier moving at 30 kt, that is 55 km per hour, can thus move 1320 km in 24 hours (straight line optimistic number). It can also make turns.

Bottom line: carriers may be enormous "optical" targets (300 m long when spysats can see 10 cm details) - they still can play cat & mouse with the satellites searching them from above. The Atlantic and Pacific oceans are vast areas.

That is changing as satellites get cheaper and more prolific. Additionally both the US and PRC operate numerous constellations of passive geolocating electronic satellites-basically orbital ESM. Google Parcae/Whitecloud. So if you are emitting an obvious, unique radar source like most any air search set, you can be passively located at least several times a day. Of course a good EMCON plan can mitigate that and emissions can be manipulated to be intentionally misleading. But the lower cost and increasing number of satellites is going to make it steadily harder to hide a ship that is easily optically identified. Additionally, increasing resolution means that GEO satellites now have limited capability to resolve targets, and they have a permanent regional dwell time. The PRC operates one roughly over Singapore.

This isn’t to say carriers go away-if anything the threat to static airbases seems worse, given low cost PGMs and basically no need to use anything more complicated than google maps for targeting. But game is going to get increasingly difficult for the side that fires second. It is fundamentally destabilizing.

latest update on the Type 003 aircraft carrier "Fujian" PLANS-18 and according to the smoke on the left side of the hull, which indicates, some tests on the power systems have been carried out. Besides that, the island's mast and the radar arrays look basically completed.

(Image via @军武吐槽 from Weibo)
Fp_Hzc7XgAkQqX6

Fp_H_08WcAUI8xh

Deino, has the PLA laid the keels of anymore carriers or do they want to use this most recent one as a test bed before producing more? I know they had a pretty remarkable turnaround time on their amphibious ships.

Do they produce any ships under a shelter to prevent aerial/space photography?

Another hint towards a first sea trial ... Daguan class barracks ship no. 89 (?) was moved into the outfitting wharf berth of the Jiangnan Shipyard sitting now just behind the Type 003 aircraft carrier "Fujian".

1678280669715.jpeg
1678280682079.jpeg

You are right CV12Hornet, I think that the Type 004 will not be as large as the concept art is making it out as large as the Ford class but I reckon that it will be a continuation of the Type 003 Fujian carrier.

From what I understand it seems that creating a nuclear plant of sufficient power is proving difficult. I suspect the next CV is a Fujian type vessel, if another carrier is built near term. I’ve not heard of any sightings of a 4th carrier yet, however.

Maybe the chinese will make a brief pause after 003 or 004 to try and "digest" their new carriers, developed at breakneck speed over the last two decades. Frack, with three carriers they are now (in raw numbers only, of course) ahead of Russia, France and Great Britain... and India !

Time for a brief building "plateau" to digest the first three carriers and consider throwing nuclear power into the fray for the next ones.

Just MHO, of course.

Operating aircraft carriers will be the test rather than building them.
The RN and USN have a century of experience with France close behind.
The key to a successful aircraft carrier is the ability to stay at sea for long periods of time and cover a lot of ocean. The airgroup needs to be capable of round the clock operations against air, sea and underwater targets.
I expect we shall get more and more footage of PLAN carriers just as we did with the KIEV class in the 70s and 80s.

It really resembles the Project 1153 a lot, especially the island.

Latest updates ... According to this image, the final shed above the third catapult on the port bow of the PLANS-18 "Fujian" is currently being removed. (Image via @还是捣蛋 fron Weibo)

1693457151653.png

And another news on the PLANS-18 „Fujian“ … Smoke coming out of the ship’s funnel. (Image via @種花家的小姐姐2 from Weibo)

1693457176303.png

As it seems, this as the most recent image showing the Type 003 aircraft carrier - PLANS-18 'Fujian' - shows that all three work sheds have been dismantled.

(Image via @種花家的小姐姐2 from Weibo and @horobeyo on Twitter)

1693571367403.png
1693571379346.png

The type 003 looks as if she is getting ready to start sea trials soon Deino especially with the amount of work that has been done on the flight deck, any word on when the sea trials will start?

As expected, all three catapults of the Type 003 PLANS-18 "Fujian" are now clearly visible from above with their sheds removed.
(Image via 种花家的小姐姐2 from Weibo)

1693840981303.png
1693841006809.png

But AFAIK this drawing was made prior to the first images of the completed Fujian, I'm a bit sceptical about accuracy.

Do you know if there are any plans to convert the Shandong and the Liaoning to Catobar? or will the PLAN operate both stobar and catobar?

Do you know if there are any plans to convert the Shandong and the Liaoning to Catobar? or will the PLAN operate both stobar and catobar?

I can’t imagine such a conversion is possible. Those ships likely lack the power requirements on top of the fact they’d practically have to be stripped to hangar deck to back fit cats and traps (and a lot of heavy cables down into the dynamos). And you’d still be left with inferior ships with limited sortie rates and aircraft compliment. It technically isn’t impossible but practically it probably would cost more to refit both than just building a new CATOBAR from scratch.

Last edited:
Pardon me, binged the thread.

Do we know what type of propulsion the type 002 uses? Is it certain that the Liaoning retained the Russian made steam power train? Given the Type 901's all gas propulsion for a ~45000 ton displacement, I'd have thought they would adopt gas turbines at least for the 003. I don't see them making the leap to nuclear in this iteration. It will be interesting to see what type of catapults they use.
Steam is a better bet for working towards nuclear propulsion later on.

I really would like to see it called something like The Long March ore among that line.
That's the name of their SSBNs.

thanks. so the claims were wrong, and that indeed the Flankers can take off with full fuel and full armament. just needs to take off from the rear position.

next question.. does the PLAN must demand a catapult version? I assume that a catobar layout, since it can still launch fully loaded aircraft, would be overall cheaper to operate and produce less stress on the airframe.

however, using the rear position limits simultaneous landing and take off, and take offs are limited to 1 per plane.

but seeing as PLAN seems to operate mostly in peace time, does it need to use the rear position as often?
I would expect the PLAN to use the rear position more often in peacetime, as it would allow the buddy tankers to take off with a full fuel load and top off the planes taking the short jump.

Things remain to be seen is the propulsion layout. Turbo-Electric drive or Integrated Electric Propulsion is Tbh a very good contender as it assures large amount of electricity to be generated and distributed for applications like EMALS and to drive various electronics.

plus offering fuel efficiency because the turbine and steam boiler etc can now operate in their optimum RPM.
Turbo-electric is arguable, depends on whether they're used to making big reduction gears for steam turbines or not.

You're 100% correct that it's better, as you can just run the turbines at optimum rpm, but that may not be what they want to do.

Eh, maybe. From what I've read the Chinese are both still figuring out reactors capable of powering a supercarrier, and are competing with the civilian electrical industry for limited reactor production. As well, based on what they did with the 052C destroyers I think they'll want to debug the Type 003 before they move on to a new design to limit design risk.

There's a good chance they lay down a second 003 before moving onto a nuclear-powered 004.
Or maybe even a third 003.

Some random thoughts on the Chinese carrier programs.

Is there any interest in STOVL operations?
I do not think the PLAN plans to operate (pun intended) in a similar way to the US Navy with its huge battle groups of multiple carriers, far away from sea.
Thus far all of its ships are non-nuclear, and its main focus are much closer to home (first and second island chains).

I'm wondering if a large STOVL carrier, like a Chinese Queen Elizabeth, would have been cheaper and easier for Chinese needs?
Aircraft developed for it could even operate off the existing Liaoning and Shandong as well.

on a second note, as for CATOBAR
I've read that EMALS can be curved. in that sense could it be retrofitted onto the Liaoning and Shandong?
or would it be easier just to modify the sky jump
China/PLAN wants to be a blue water navy. They haven't had one since the 1500s, but they want to be one because the UK, US, Russia, and even India and France are.

China may well be behind the West in developing tactics for aircraft carriers but give or take five years then I can see them catching up to the west in that field. It was exactly the same with stealth technology and fifth generation fighters.
More than 5 years, because they need to get entire crews worth of personnel trained up in carrier operations, then saying "there's got to be a better way to do this" and streamlining how they do things.

Maybe the chinese will make a brief pause after 003 or 004 to try and "digest" their new carriers, developed at breakneck speed over the last two decades. Frack, with three carriers they are now (in raw numbers only, of course) ahead of Russia, France and Great Britain... and India !

Time for a brief building "plateau" to digest the first three carriers and consider throwing nuclear power into the fray for the next ones.

Just MHO, of course.
Possible, I suspect that they may build a couple more 003-class before doing nuclear power. Kinda depends on how fast their war plans need carriers, and how quickly they can build high power reactors for a ship.

combined response

Interesting, that island looks like they're trying to do some Zumwalt-level LO shaping...

How do you stealth a carrier?

You don't stealth ships; you reduce their radar reflection such that they look smaller in size than they actually are. Ship signature reduction efforts are not efforts to delay detection like with aircraft; they are efforts to obscure ship type and enhance the effectiveness of other counter measures.