NasaCRgis's Channel - YouTube - LaRC Full Scale Tunnel Tribute

DSE

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/user/NasaCRgis?feature=mhee#p/u/0/q_0k2kkelD0

All that now remains.....are memories and photos and such.

I saw it coming down. All I could think at the time was; another retreat from greatness. Sure you can do much of the work with computers now, but so much of the early American aerodynamics work was done there that put us at the top. Perhaps we should consider demolishing Independence Hall. I mean after all its only where the document was debated and ratified after all. Overstating it a bit to be sure, but it frustrates me because I think it shows where our nanny society has gotten itself to.

My frustrated opinion only. Not interested in a debate.

No debate, just want to say how much I agree. In Europe, some industrial buildings have been preserved as witnesses of our past heritage. NASA's LaRC is exactly the kind of place that should have been preserved with that purpose in mind: showing the next generations how things used to be done.

yasotay said:
I saw it coming down. All I could think at the time was; another retreat from greatness. Sure you can do much of the work with computers now, but so much of the early American aerodynamics work was done there that put us at the top. Perhaps we should consider demolishing Independence Hall. I mean after all its only where the document was debated and ratified after all. Overstating it a bit to be sure, but it frustrates me because I think it shows where our nanny society has gotten itself to.

My frustrated opinion only. Not interested in a debate.

I don't think there is much to debate here. The sad thing is the funding model for facilities is long broken with no end in sight. As centers try to balance their books these by nature expensive facilities are seen seen as long term liabilities and targeted for mothballing/shuttering/demolition if not used enough by programs to at least pay for the current full cost, forget about any real maintenance or improvement. They've been running under a run-to-fail maintenance plan for a decade or two. Stewardship of this capability is down on the list of priorities for center management. Initially, I thought the ATP portion of the FAP was a small step in the right direction. However, all this appears to be is a band-aid in place of where a tourniquet is needed.

Cave of the Winds

Retired NASA Langley researcher, Joseph Chambers, presented a lecture in June 2012 on his upcoming book, Cave of the Winds. This book is a comprehensive study of the research of the Full-Scale Tunnel which went into operation in 1931 and continued for almost 80 years. The National Historic Landmark was demolished in 2011.

Joe currently serves as an aviation consultant in Yorktown, VA. He retired from Langley in 1998 after a 36-year career in military and civil aeronautics research activities. He participated in the development of virtually every Air Force and Navy aircraft of the past 30 years. He is the author of over 50 publications. His presentations have given in nine countries besides the USA.

The book is awaiting publication. It is expected to be released in 2013 or 2014 to coincide with the opening of the Full-Scale Tunnel artifacts exhibit as part of the Milestone of Flight exhibit at the Smithsonian's Air and Space museum on the mall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jaJHiw79Vcs

The e-book version of "Cave of the Winds - The Remarkable History of the Langley Full-Scale Wind Tunnel" by NASA Langley history author and retiree Joe Chambers is now available as a free download at:

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/cave_of_the_winds_detail.html#.U-OxSiSprMZ

The huge Langley Full-Scale Tunnel building dominated the skyline of Langley Air Force Base for 81 years (1930­2011). The Full-Scale Tunnel was constructed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) during an era when biplanes and dirigibles dominated aviation. The results of critical tests conducted within its massive test section contributed to many of the Nation's most important aeronautics and space programs. The historical significance of the Full-Scale Tunnel was formally recognized when it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985 by the National Park Service.