Mystery Japanese Tank

scorpiodude

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
For a while now me and some friends have been trying to find out some more info on this japanese tank. It looks like a Chi-Ha at first glance but a few things don't match up like the 2nd roller being more prominent than the recessed one on other Chi-Has or the exhaust being further forward. Personally I think it is some pre production or field modified one but if anybody has any info or ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 237
What is the source of this photo? I am curious that it might be from a post-WWII movie.

Hi.

My opinion:

- A japanese standard medium tank suspension with six roadwheels and three return rollers
- almost horizontal engine compartment top
- standard muffler but in an unusual position
- long frontal mudguard
- two identical turret hatches opening to oposite sides on a slightly enheigted cylindrical cupola

This does not really fit to any introduced vehicle but it seems to be a Type 1 Chi-He-based vehicle as there are some details that does not fit to a Type 97 Chi-Ha or Shinhoto. Maybe a prototype?

Yours

tom! ;)

It's definitely a derivative of Chi-Ha/Chi-He. It could very well just be some prototype or one-off variant we may never see a good photo of. I would guess that it's a specialized vehicle of some sort.

The doubled central return roller is a bit weird, but not unseen for a Chi-Ha suspension, for example: Shi-Ki command tank prototype
1687917834655.png

As for what that particular tank is, there are several visually-unknown specialized variants that were planned/prototyped at some point. This is a diagram of a Chi-He-based observation tank named Ka-So, which is somewhat similar:

kaso.png

There are several noticeable discrepancies with the image even from this diagram, though.

Last edited:
Hi.

As for what that particular tank is, there are several visually-unknown specialized variants that were planned/prototyped at some point. This is a diagram of a Chi-He-based observation tank named Ka-So, which is somewhat similar:

View attachment 702486

There are several noticeable discrepancies with the image even from this diagram, though.

Interesting design, never heard of it. Where did you find the diagram?

Yours

tom! ;)

Hi.

View attachment 702486

Interesting design, never heard of it. Where did you find the diagram?

Yours

tom! ;)

日本の戦車, Tomio Hara's book

In the first place, there is no conclusive evidence to say that a Type 97 Heavy Tank ever existed. That is wild speculation.
Moreover, if entertaining it, it's strange to suppose such a vehicle would be basically just a slight modification of Chi-Ha. There's little reason for that to exist.

Moreover, if entertaining it, it's strange to suppose such a vehicle would be basically just a slight modification of Chi-Ha. There's little reason for that to exist.
Well, it could be an experimental prototype, proof of concept for some idea, that was not essentially followed.