A51dude

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I tried searching, but wasn't able to find out if this was discussed before. And if this topic is in the wrong forum, could it be moved to the correct one, please?

Anyway, I'm curious about Lockheed's Extensible Launching System for the Mk.41 VLS.
Extensible Launching System
What caught my eye is that a pic shows that NULKA decoys as well as RAM (Rolling Airframe Missiles) could be quad packed in a VLS cell for launch.
Has the US Navy fitted this system on any of it's ships currently or not?
Does the US Navy plan to launch NULKA and RAM this way or do they still prefer the old style swivel/rotating launcher for the RAM and the tall angled launcher for NULKA decoys?

Anyway, I'm curious about Lockheed's Extensible Launching System for the Mk.41 VLS.
Extensible Launching System
What caught my eye is that a pic shows that NULKA decoys as well as RAM (Rolling Airframe Missiles) could be quad packed in a VLS cell for launch.
Yes it could be tought except for CAMM nothing else was tested (atleast with they never said anything about it)
Has the US Navy fitted this system on any of it's ships currently or not?
Not that we know of. As far as we can tell nobody has this system installed and even canadia has chosen to switch from CAMM to RAM and too the Mk.49 Launcher.
Does the US Navy plan to launch NULKA and RAM this way or
Not that we know off.
do they still prefer the old style swivel/rotating launcher for the RAM and the tall angled launcher for NULKA decoys?
Yes. The reason is actualy quite simple.
Both system can be mounted with ease on any ship that needs them. They also don't Take any large internal space away and also would have some more performance with RAM as we don't have to make the turn from vertical to the direction the enemy missile (or else) comes from.

We've talked about it a bunch under the shorthand ExLS. But not in a dedicated thread.

I'll note that there are two versions of ExLS -- "host" ExLS that fits a quad launcher inside a Mk41 cell or "3-cell" ExLS that fits three of the host type quad packs inside a dedicated launcher. As far as I know, host ExLS has not generated much interest, but there may be some international customers for 3-cell ExLS, probably around the CAMM/Sea Ceptor missile rather than RAM or Nulka.

For now, the USN seems uninterested in either version of ExLS and appears content to keep RAM on trainable launchers and Nulka in angled launchers piggybacking off SRBOC.

Yes it could be tought except for CAMM nothing else was tested (atleast with they never said anything about it)
Thanks to TomS for correcting me so both CAMM and Nulka we're tested.
Not that we know of. As far as we can tell nobody has this system installed and even canadia has chosen to switch from CAMM to RAM and too the Mk.49 Launcher.
There also Sweden who wants to use it with CAMM. Tought its seams like Saudi also uses it on the MMSC.

Thanks to TomS for correcting me so both CAMM and Nulka we're tested.

There also Sweden who wants to use it with CAMM. Tought its seams like Saudi also uses it on the MMSC.

Poland seems to be getting the host version to put CAMM in the Mk 41 on its new frigates.