Lockheed Archangels: the evolution of the A-12

overscan said:
OMG, conspiracy! Maybe the same alien spacecraft at Roswell inspired them both!!!

;D ;D ;D

Well I was going to tell everyone of the rumor I heard that the Skunk Works had invented a time machine but I was afraid of a visit by the black helicopters or that I might "mysteriously" die of a heart attack. ;D

sferrin said:
TinWing said:
It's nice to look back on a success story, a "black" program that was managed with efficiency and a total lack of corruption, despite the absence of any real oversight. You have to marvel at the sheer honesty of Kelly Johnson - all of the funds that passed through his private bank account, for purposes of financial secrecy, actually made their way into the project.

For an intelligence agency, the CIA did a terrific job of managing an aerospace project.

To think he actually gave Suntan money BACK. Can't imagine that happening today. More likely you'd have the company sueing the government for some perceived wrong or what have you.

In a conversation I had with Ben Rich in 1990 he stated that because of all the bureaucratic inertia and micromanagement that had evolved in Washington since the late '50s, they'd never have been able to develop the A-12/SR-71 in the current environment. And that was in 1990. Think what it must be like today!

In those days government and industry were partners. I fear those days are gone forever...

http://www.latimes.com/la-mag-april052009-backstory,0,786384.story

A-1, A-3 and A-6-5
images - Lockheed Martin via John Whittenbury

Attachments

• A-1.jpg
    A-1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 563
  • A-3.jpg
    A-3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 598
  • A-6-5.jpg
    A-6-5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 631
You guys should check out Peter Merlin's AIAA book on the Blackbird. It comes with a CD containing a whole mess of data (flight manuals, images, etc). One bit is a PowerPoint presentation titled FROM ARCHANGEL TO OXCART: DESIGN EVOLUTION OF THE LOCKHEED A-12. Nearly every Archangel, Gusto, Arrow, Fish, Kingfish, or weird inflatable Navy blimp concept is illustrated.

SOC said:
You guys should check out Peter Merlin's AIAA book on the Blackbird. It comes with a CD containing a whole mess of data (flight manuals, images, etc). One bit is a PowerPoint presentation titled FROM ARCHANGEL TO OXCART: DESIGN EVOLUTION OF THE LOCKHEED A-12. Nearly every Archangel, Gusto, Arrow, Fish, Kingfish, or weird inflatable Navy blimp concept is illustrated.

Hi SOC,
Just for info: Any top-view or 3V drawing of the "Gusto 2" flying wing project in this CD ?

Here is the link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563479338/ref=s9_subs_gw_s0_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=095KDPNZSJRDWX0HC9RZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

...Does a visual "Family Tree" exist detailing each of the concepts leading all the way to the SR-71 that the whole program consisted of?

Retrofit said:
Hi SOC,
Just for info: Any top-view or 3V drawing of the "Gusto 2" flying wing project in this CD ?

There's an overhead drawing (not directly overhead as you'd see in a 3view) of the G2A.

[quote author=OM]...Does a visual "Family Tree" exist detailing each of the concepts leading all the way to the SR-71 that the whole program consisted of?[/quote]

Yes, but not all in the same place!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563479338/ref=s9_subs_gw_s0_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=095KDPNZSJRDWX0HC9RZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Ordered from Amazon.co.uk in midweek, arrived yesterday! :D

Both book and DVD-ROM excellent, very interesting!

Didn't know that at the time of it's development, the U-2 was only expected to be operationally useful for 18-24 months,
also, that in 'stealth-ising' the A-11 into the A-12, empty weight increased by 22%. this must have had some performance implications.

cheers,
Robin.

I think the main performance impact was to reduce the range a bit, and the altitude might have been cut a small bit as well.

I think the main performance impact was to reduce the range a bit, and the altitude might have been cut a small bit as well.

thanks for that. ;D

I followed the reference in the blurb on the back cover to this:-

NASA SP-2001-4525

Seems to be one of the source references for the book, goes into a lot more detail of the NASA YF-12 test programs.
Some of the illustrations are the same as in the book, too.

cheers,
Robin.

What was the books (except Aerofax, Warbirdtech and Jay Miller's Skunk Works: Unofficial History), that has FB-12 and other unbuilt A-12/SR-71 proposals drawings? Blackbird: Secret Missions Exposed?

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, Steve Pace, 2004 (forget who published it)

It describes a lot of them, but I don't recall that many illustrations. The best place for those were the Goodall/Miller Aerofax work of 2002, or the Wings/Airpower magazine features from a few years back. Or you could just use the SR-71I or SR-71 (BX) project documents I posted here a while ago ;D

Hi,

I find this Lockheed A-12 with canard,it is very strange for me.

http://jpcolliat.free.fr/f12/a12/a12_34.jpg

Attachments

• A-12_34.jpg
    A-12_34.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 908
Very interestingly, really! First time I see А-12 in such configuration.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blackbird-Canards.JPG

Huge picture - side by side with a non-canard variant.

Canards were tested unsuccessfully on the A-12 model in an attempt to improve pitch stability.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this and I did not want to create one for this.

I recently went to the US Space and Rocket Center where A-12 Article #127 is on display. It is not in great shape. The paint is fading and I can see orange primer beginning to show. I paid a quick visit on the 50th anniversary of the first A-12 flight and someone had gotten gum on top of the wing. :'(

The rear engine cover has fallen in exposing the inside of the engine cowling. It has been this way for several months. You can see the back of the aerospike. I had never seen that before. I posted two pictures. Maybe they will be of interest to the group.

However, there was good news in the Huntsville Times today. They are going to move the A-12 to a new display near the Marriott hotel that neighbors the Space and Rocket Center. It looks like it will be much better display than how it is currently displayed. Maybe it will be restored. This could happen in the next 12 months according on plans.

I don't think it is legal for me to scan the article and post here. Here is the link:

http://blog.al.com/huntsville-times-business/2012/08/us_space_rocket_center_plans_u.html

Unfortunately it doesn't have the artist depiction of the display.

Attachments

• DSCN4873_reduced.jpg
    DSCN4873_reduced.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 941
  • DSCN4872_reduced.jpg
    DSCN4872_reduced.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 974
The mysterious Arrow I and G2. Any info out there re these aircraft? -SP

Attachments

• G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 655
  • A-12 Evolution.jpg
    A-12 Evolution.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 641
  • Arrow I.jpg
    Arrow I.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 598
From Aero Journal 53.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    375 KB · Views: 160
This photograph is reproduced in Paul Crickmore's Lockheed Blackbird Beyond the Secret Missions, albeit flipped the other way, the caption says: "After reassembly at Groom Lake, Article 121 underwent engine and fuel flow tests. Problems with leaking fuel tanks were eventually overcome, prior to the start of taxi tests. The large areas with removed panels on the inboard upper sections of the wings show the locations of the main wing fuel tanks."

He doesn't mention the overwing tanks in the main text either, but they are probably fitted for the fuel flow tests.

Yes. They are there to maintain the tank overflow. They are probably WWII surplus items or P-80 tanks.

I think the details of it can also be found in Miller book: Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works.[Pg 117]

Last edited:
Hi,

in this competition,the tenders were;

1- Convair/GD Kingfish
2- Boeing Model-?
3- North American ?
4- Lockheed A-12

Who know the proposals from two missing companies ?.

Here are some color photos of the second A-12 (Article 122) on the Intrepid Museum in NYC. These photos were taken in 2009. And a few photos from the Museum of Science in San Diego of their pylon mounted A-12 (Article 130).

Attachments

• A-12 2009.jpeg
    A-12 2009.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 15
  • A-12 on Intrepid Museum 2009.jpeg
    A-12 on Intrepid Museum 2009.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • A-12 & Start Cart.jpeg
    A-12 & Start Cart.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • A-12 tail.jpeg
    A-12 tail.jpeg