Kuznetsov: is this ship cursed?

Judging by all the snow on surrounding hills, it looks more like the flight deck is covered by a meter of snow.

Seems like they would have spared themselves a lot of trouble if they used the same propulsion setup as the Kirov class. Some of those are still operational and aren't catching fire or breaking down constantly.

Doesn’t someone else operate another ship in this class?

Doesn’t someone else operate another ship in this class?
China, as well as one heavily derived from it. This is what awful corruption will do, as well as a white elephant prestige ship.

Apparently it caught fire during repair work. Someone welded too hard?
If I am not mistaken-there are things called welding blankets. Birmingham-Minn. Tank became Superock Block-which had a sauna like kiln initially made of foam panels with thin metal to either side-meaning the foam could burn within with water shed off the sides. The heavy overhead crane framing kept what remained up after a worker forgot his spark catching blanket. This was likely similar. I have seen men shiver in 90 F after removing their protective garments.

And when I awoke I was alone
The Kuznetsov had sailed
So I lit a fire
Isn't it good Severomorsk wood?

As for curses, remember the old legend; when every ship is christened, its name goes into the Ledger of the Deep kept by Neptune. Renaming a ship means you're trying to slip something past the Gods and you will be punished for your deviousness.

I'd still choose to take my chances on the cursed ship given the alternative

Is this Forest Greens latest Ukraine threadjack?

The news that they have to "find" circa 1500 crew suddenly makes no sense.

The crew would have been given other tasks whilst the vessel was refitted.
Some would have been on course, others given other roles to do in the interim..etc.
Quite normal.
They didn't get abducted by aliens..

I wish people would show more discernment posting Twitter posts as gospel.
Posting a Twitter post as gospel is like posting a Facebook post as gospel.
And there seems to be an ever increasing propensity to do this..

Amongst a sea of drivel infused rubbish commentary in that link, there is one that washes the muck away:

"Dr Phil Weir
@navalhistorian
·3h
A couple of points to note here: 1) Disbanding a crew, or at least reducing it to a skeleton presence & reassigning the majority, while a ship is undergoing major, multi-year reconstructive work, is pretty much standard operating procedure as crews are not shipyard workers."

I know I'm old enough to know better..but I'm constantly disappointed in people...

Last edited:
True, it is quite normal practice. But after 6 years a number of the crew will have come to the end of their enlistment, been promoted, transferred to other ships or branches of the service and may not be available for redeployment within the short-term. Conscripts come and go in natural churn anyway - its the experienced officers and NCOs that matter and as long as enough of them are there to form a cadre then training can begin to get the newcomers up to scratch.

The Russian Navy has been operating ships long enough to know what they are doing.

I seem to recall the aviation group from Kuznetzov were relocated to the new Naval Aviation training centre in Yesk whilst the ship was being overhauled.
This is in addition to the Nitka complex in Crimea, which mimics the Kuznetzov with ski-ramp etc..

It's been a while, so I'm unsure which complex they are currently using.