TinWing

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2024/08/hd-hhi-submarines-in-the-polands-orka-program/

This HDS-2300 is apparently a joint marketing effort with Babcock. Oddly enough, Babcock provides the weapons handling system. Not sure if that means it’s a British system?

Specs:
2,300 tons surfaced, 2,550 tons submerged
length of 73 meters
height of 14.4 meters
250 meters diving depth

“The surface speed will be over 10 knots, underwater over 20 knots, and the range and autonomy – respectively – over 10,000 nautical miles at 6 knots and 50 days. The pressure hull will have a stepped diameter of 6.6 and 7.6m.”

So it’s at least partially double hulled and I’m assuming the overall width includes flank array sonars?

This is a submarine project offered to Poland by Korea, because the Poles want to acquire submarines under the ORKA program.
Basically, apart from what was written in the article, I don't know anything more about it at this point.
In addition, South Korea offers us the KSS III submarine.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2024/08/hd-hhi-submarines-in-the-polands-orka-program/

This HDS-2300 is apparently a joint marketing effort with Babcock. Oddly enough, Babcock provides the weapons handling system. Not sure if that means it’s a British system?

Specs:
2,300 tons surfaced, 2,550 tons submerged
length of 73 meters
height of 14.4 meters
250 meters diving depth

“The surface speed will be over 10 knots, underwater over 20 knots, and the range and autonomy – respectively – over 10,000 nautical miles at 6 knots and 50 days. The pressure hull will have a stepped diameter of 6.6 and 7.6m.”

So it’s at least partially double hulled and I’m assuming the overall width includes flank array sonars?
Yes, the most recent Korean subs have been partially double-hulled. IIRC, the operations compartment with the torpedo room etc is single hulled but the engineroom is double hulled. Beam would be 7.6m in this case.

Yes, the most recent Korean subs have been partially double-hulled. IIRC, the operations compartment with the torpedo room etc is single hulled but the engineroom is double hulled. Beam would be 7.6m in this case.
As I recollect, the beam of the KSS-III 9.6 meters but the pressure hull diameter is 7.7 meters. The article state the HDS-2300 has a “width of about 8 meters,” with the stated maximum pressure hull diameter of 7.6 meters.

As I recollect, the beam of the KSS-III 9.6 meters but the pressure hull diameter is 7.7 meters. The article state the HDS-2300 has a “width of about 8 meters,” with the stated maximum pressure hull diameter of 7.6 meters.
Ah, yeah, the various planes may extend past the diameter of the hull. *facepalm* I know better!

Ah, yeah, the various planes may extend past the diameter of the hull. *facepalm* I know better!
Actually, I assume that generally the quoted overall beam figures include the flank arrays but not the non-retractable diving planes? The single hulled Spanish S80 has a quoted beam of 11.68 meters but the pressure hull’s outside diameter is only 7.3 meters? Is the difference down entirely to flank arrays? I think this is a question for someone like H.I. Sutton?

Actually, I assume that generally the quoted overall beam figures include the flank arrays but not the non-retractable diving planes? The single hulled Spanish S80 has a quoted beam of 11.68 meters but the pressure hull’s outside diameter is only 7.3 meters? Is the difference down entirely to flank arrays? I think this is a question for someone like H.I. Sutton?
No, I'm quite sure that's due to stern planes.

Even on an Ohio, the stern planes are a squidge wider than the hull diameter, and the Ohios are not built to be super maneuverable.