Konstantin Udalov, Jozef Gatial: Training aircrafts of the Myasishchev Design Buro

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
КОНСТАНТИН УДАЛОВ, ЙОЗЕФ ГАТЬЯЛ: САМОЛЕТЫ УТС ЭМЗ им. В. М. МЯCИЩЕВА, МОСКВА 2024 г., 80 с.

УДК. 629. 735. 33 (47+57) Самолеты УТС ЭМЗ им. В. М. Мясищева. 01/08

Konstantin Udalov, Jozef Gatial: Training aircrafts of the Myasishchev Design Buro, Moscow 2024, 80 pages

Another great work by aviation historian Konstantin Udalov. This time he teams up with wwell known aviation artist Jozef Gatial.
This volume in a series about Myasishchevs is dedicated tot he subject of training aircrft: the M-200 TRAINER AIRCRAFT (pp. 4-37), the UTS M-205/207 (pp. 38-51), the „graduate aircraft“ M-201 UT (pp. 52-61), the operative versions of the Ye-6U (pp. 62-67) and finally the chapter about the Training aircrafts (UTS) on the basis oft he M-55 (68-79). This book covers an aerea which was often overlooked before, but is nonetheless intriguently interesting. The story of the planes and people behind it are covered in full detail and with great artwork (by Jozef Gatial).
Their modifications are considered, technical descriptions with drawings are given. It shows the formation of technical requirements for initial training aeroplanes for civil aviation and the Air Force. The edition is illustrated with a large number of schemes and photos, which have not been published before. For a wide range of readers interested in aviation.

As other publications by Udalov, this book spans the arc from (late) soviet times, the end of the Cold War until recent times. Especially the M-200 comes to play here. A really beautiful design, that was a real real rival to the Yak-130, which entered service. Udalov sets all the competitors oft he Trainingaircraft fort he russian airforce in comparison. The M-200 did very well. The UTSM-205/207 has a propeller turbine. Ist design reminds somewhat on Pilatus desings and are truly beautiful. Like the Pilatus trainers it can be used for civilian as well as for military operations. There was a cooperation with the west for some time on the engines. It was designed to wether use the Garrett TPF351 or the TVD-10M engine.

The most unknown and interesting part to me is about the training planes on the basis oft he famous M-55 (about which Udalov will publish a seperate book in the future). It is truly remarkable how versatile this plane actually is. The MDB Flying School seems to have needed this type of planes for the upcoming pilots of this special plane. But only a few were actually build and no trainer was needed anylonger. Grafics, fotos and beautiful what-if artworks (by Gatial) go together with the text here. The first variant was a basic version with a two-seat tandem cockpit that could accommodate both a cadet and an operator.

I very highly recommend this volume because it containes information, material and artwork about this exceptional airplane that can´t be found anywhere else.
I can´t hardly wait fort he following volume, which is mostly about the successor M-55 „Geofisika“ and ist variants.

If you are interested in this publation, please DM Konstantin (ucon).

Cheers, Sven

Attachments

• Обложка УТС-1.jpg
    Обложка УТС-1.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 29
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 34
The m-200 looks like it was inspired by the underrated and lovely alphajet.

I got acquainted with another book by Konstantin Udalov about the training aircraft of the Myasishchev Design Bureau.

Another gap in the history of Russian aviation, and in particular the Myasishchev Design Bureau, has been closed.

Very interesting textual material, coupled with original drawings and cutaway drawings. I consider it necessary to purchase this book for my archive, which I recommend to you.

Attachments

• УТС_02.jpg
    УТС_02.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 27
I recieved this book from Ucon.
I need to read more detail because my Russian language skill is not perfect.
However, still, i can see many photo, model, drawing, beautiful artwork. I always look picures of the book first, because I think if book has rare and previously unknown picutres, it means the author has diligently searched archives and previous records (Of course, it is just my opinion).
I also think Ucon's genuinely kind and wonderful personality makes this book even more wonderful.
You need this book if you are interested Myasishchev's design and aircraft.

Good to see that Kostya is around and continues to produce great books from all the archives he has saved. A great guy indeed! Haven't heard from him in years, we used to be in contact at some point (I was hoping to work with him on an English-language book on Beriev, but both his limitations with English and mine with Russian put an early end to the project)

Online translation is a great help. I've tested Russian-Spanish and Russian-English.

Back
Top Bottom