Cjc

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

Well a coast gard cutter arms race wasn't on my bingo card but here we are. To put this in perspective the current largest coast gard vessel is the Zhaotou-class patrol cutter at 12,000 tons, this vessel would be more then twice as big at 30,000 tons (and looks a lot like the Japanese helicopter destroyers). Japanese current largest coast gard vessel is the Shikishima-class patrol vessel at 9,300 tons ( ment to protect Japanese uranium delivery for reprocessing, although that only happened once) this new ship is ment to evacuate Japanese islands at the start of a hot war with China.

What are the tasks of a coast guard ship and how this size can be an advantage to perform it? I'm completely lost about this technology race. I thought that when coastal borders/fishery conflicts escalated, the next asset to be deployed was a fighting ship not a bigger coast guard ship. Are this ships intended to intimidate with marines instead of missiles?

What are the tasks of a coast guard ship and how this size can be an advantage to perform it?
This particular ship is intended for disaster relief and noncombatant evacuation. It's not a 'patrol ship' in the sense of performing maritime law enforcement, and isn't intended to be armed at all.

It isn't obviously a Coast Guard mission. But it isn't obviously anyone else's, either, and there are advantages to having it performed by a civilian-crewed state body.

This particular ship is intended for disaster relief and noncombatant evacuation. It's not a 'patrol ship' in the sense of performing maritime law enforcement, and isn't intended to be armed at all.

It isn't obviously a Coast Guard mission. But it isn't obviously anyone else's, either, and there are advantages to having it performed by a civilian-crewed state body.
I'm pretty sure even in Japan the coast guard is still a uniformed service and I highly doubt this ship isn't going to be armed (after all the Shikishima-class was also armed).But yes Japan does have a lot more intense need of disaster relief then most nations need.

I'm pretty sure even in Japan the coast guard is still a uniformed service and I highly doubt this ship isn't going to be armed (after all the Shikishima-class was also armed).But yes Japan does have a lot more intense need of disaster relief then most nations need.
Uniformed services can still be civilian. Most police forces are - noting the existence of gendarmeries - and the US has two Federal uniformed civilian services, in the USPHS Commissioned Corps and NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps. Generally, coast guards fall into this category.

The article linked above explicitly states that the Japan Coast Guard does not plan to arm the MPPV.

The article linked above explicitly states that the Japan Coast Guard does not plan to arm the MPPV.
I suspect that will not last long, at least to give it a couple of CIWS and/or RAM launchers for self-protection.

Medevac vehicles bearing the red cross are allowed to be armed for the defense of those being evacuated.

Reminded of Germany in the 30's building the Ju. 86 and Ge. 111 as a large passenger aircraft...

If it looks like a LSD and quacks like an LSD.

Except that Japan already has LSDs in commission.

Landing Ship Tanks with very limited carrying capacity (two hovercraft, no covered helicopter stowage, lifts to the well deck have limited weight capacity).

They even say in the article that it will also be used to provide offshore security during VIP events and to evacuate civilians from outlying Japanese territories in the event of a Chinese invasion.

Last edited:
Landing Ship Tanks with very limited carrying capacity (two hovercraft, no covered helicopter stowage, lifts to the well deck have limited weight capacity).

They even say in the article that it will also be used to provide offshore security during VIP events and to evacuate civilians from outlying Japanese territories in the event of a Chinese invasion.
Right, because it's a half length helo deck on top of a RORO Ferry. So it's got space for helicopters to stage from and refuel, which doesn't particularly exist in Tokyo (for VIP event security), and it's got space to pick up refugees.