Jason Dykstra (Wyvern)

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to compile and present sources regarding Italian bomb types, fuzes and tactics used in the Central Mediterranean from their entry into the War in 1940 to the Armistice of Cassibile in 1943. This is meant to complement my other thread about German equipment and tactics, in order to present as accurate a picture of the air war over Malta, and the situation faced by the bomb disposal crews of the British Armed Forces on Malta, with particular reference to the Royal Engineers and RNVR. Sources from both Italy and the UK would be greatly appreciated, especially in regards to diagrams of fuzes and the bombs themselves.

I am collecting this information in order to create a video series about the Bomb Disposal efforts of the crews in Malta, which is a highly under-researched part of Malta's role in the Second World War, despite their importance to the War Effort. In addition to this, I also hope to bring light to the bombs used by the Italians, as this is an area which is also lacking in research, in addition to the methods used to dispose of them in Malta.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Jason

(Once again, I have reserved a number of posts which I will update later, in order to make quick reference to them in the future)

Sources List:

[1] "UXB Malta: Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal 1940-1944" by S.A.M Hudson
[2] "Mines over Malta" by Frederick R. Galea

Last edited:
Interesting Thread. I will leave some info regarding some unknow bombs, I hope they will be interesting
This one is a 2kg bomb, an Italian predeccessor of cluster munitions
Seems to be what is referred to as the "Thermos Bomb" by British bomb disposal teams, although it is possible they may also refer to the AR-4 (Armamento Ritardato 4), according to one of my sources. These bombs were frequently used in small bomber raids or even by lone bombers, which would approach the islands fast and high and release their bombs in a sharp turn. These would then be spread out over a wide area, in order to cause the most disruption. They had to be handled extremely carefully, and were generally exploded on spot, though somehow the Malta Police Force managed to collect over a hundred of them and store these dangerous munitions underneath the Opera House! This incident will be described in a post above.

@Regio Ammiraglio Do you happen to have the sources for the images you posted, so I can update the sources section
These imagines are from a facebook book, If needed I can post the link of the pictures. I Will also post some more pictures regarding Italian bombs on these days (Sorry for the late reply, but I'm in vacation on the alps currently)