Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
AFAPL-TR-69-1

FOREWORD

This report summarizes the results of a technical program on the development and feasibility determination of the Whiffle Ball (perforated hollow sphere) concept for the suppression of fires and explosions in aircraft fuel tanks. The program, funded by the Limited War Office (ASJ) of the Aeronautical Systems Division under Project 1559, Task 191, was a joint effort between the Air Force Materials Laboratory and the Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory, with the latter organization providing overall program management.

The program required the use of both in-house and contractual efforts. In-house effort included establishing compatibility between candidate perforated spheres and the fuel and fuel system, which was performed under the direction of Mr. G. W. Gandee of the Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory. Contract AF33(615)-68-C-1405 with Monsanto Research Corporation, directed by Mr. E. J. Morrisey of the Air Force Materials Laboratory, provided for the production of test quantities of the candidate sphere configurations and a preliminary analysis of possible manufacturing techniques improvements. ContractD033(615)-66-5005 with the Bureau of Mines, Explosives Research Center,Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, directed by Mr. B. P. Botteri of the Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory, provided for establishing the explosion suppression performance of the candidate configurations.

This report covers research conducted during the period August 1967 through 15 October 1968. The report was submitted by the authors in January 1969.

This technical report has been reviewed and is approved.

CHARLES R. HUDSON, Chief
Fuel, Lubrication, and Hazards Division
Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory

This would be equivalent of 'safety' / Faraday lamp gauze 'cage' and the anti-flash-back grille in oxy-acetylene fuel line ??

There is a glitch I think that sometimes causes the text of people's posts to turn all capital letters, especially if they are posting from a phone or other mobile device.

My apologies, @AE220.
May I confirm my Win'10 desktop + Chrome browser post using site default font was case-appropriate ?
And displays here okay for me ?
FWW, copy/pasting Notepad into Reddit (HFY) often results in format weirdness on some set-ups: Editing line & para breaks resolves.
A regular over at TBO does 'shout' a lot, though proportion is unclear due to his oft-mischievous browser... ;)

Come to think of it, he may have actually been referring to my usage of capitals in the thread title (I was in a bit of a hurry at the time, so I simply copied and pasted for that). :oops: