Happy Birthday TSR2!

60 years young, hard to belive that the TSR.2 the plane that never entered service could cause so much interest 60 years later.

60 years young, hard to belive that the TSR.2 the plane that never entered service could cause so much interest 60 years later.

It had the hopes and dreams of not only the aircraft industry, but a generation of aircraft nerds. That stuff gets passed on up the generations.

That's true, one of the greatest what if's in the history of military aviation I think. I spend many an evening wondering about how it would have performed in Desert Storm 1991 had it entered service instead of the Tornado GR.1 which was much less of a performer.

I guess the technological optimism of the era, as typified by Thunderbirds, also provided a boost. Lots of kids - and adults - who dreamed of amazing futures and amazing machines, dreams that could not be dampened by reality.

That's true, one of the greatest what if's in the history of military aviation I think. I spend many an evening wondering about how it would have performed in Desert Storm 1991 had it entered service instead of the Tornado GR.1 which was much less of a performer.