Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The Bundesarchiv/Militäraarchiv listened to my prayers and made available the plans for a German fleet submarine project I was looking after since I bought Eberhardt Rössler`s "Geschichte des Deutschen Ubootbaus", in the early1990`s. All we had was a cross section and the general specifications (along with Gröner`s). Here are two drawings from Freiburg. Specs do not match, though (e.g. Gröner states 8 torpedo tubes), and it`s not the first time we see russian handwriting in a German (captured) document.

Attachments

• RM_25_10620.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 41
  • RM_25_10621.jpg
    RM_25_10621.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 110
Wow, these are excellent, thank you for posting! I too have been looking for drawings of the Type XII since I read Rössler's The U-boat. I am surprised how...ordinary it looks, at least in comparison with the unusual Type XI. Perhaps I read Rössler's book wrong, but I had assumed that it would have been similar to a scaled-down Type XI without the floatplane hangar.

I made a quick comparison of the XII with the IXD2 (assuming that the former is 85 m long; I need to do a more careful scaling based on the 1:50 scale of the drawing later). They are different in detail of course but overall remarkably similar, which I guess is not a great surprise.

Attachments

• XII_vs_IXD2.jpg
    XII_vs_IXD2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 81
Last edited: