English Electric Lightning - squadron sizes?

Cjc

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
So this might not be the right place for this and if it is im sorry and al delete this, but dose anybody know about how large lighting squadrons were, I tried looking it up and got numbers between 11 and 30 aircraft. I kind of need a ruff number for a separate project and wasn't getting anything elsewhere.

Not my area of expertise I'm afraid, I thought it was typically 12 - 16 aircraft but I don't have a source for that.

You may need to do a little bit of maths, but this site has squadron histories (just general stuff) and aircraft histories (serial numbers, squadrons assigned to, fate).

A quick look though it shows there’s plenty of squadron info in the aircraft histories section, though it may not be able to say how many were operational in a squadron at any time.

I found the site through Thunder and Lightnings, a brilliant site on postwar UK aircraft. The owner has a contact form - you might get lucky if you try it. However, it may be even better to try the various British aircraft groups on Facebook. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are ones for Lightnings and their individual squadrons.