Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic

Has a reader of the novel, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, written by Alfred Lansing, during my childhood , I can't believe how lucky we are today with this news. 35 years ago, we had to found the Titanic, and that was amazing. Now this!!

I would invite anyone willing to know more to read the book.

I wonder if she can be raised.
She's 10,000 feet down, not with any technology we have today.
And while it looks great, I wonder if it would shatter into matchsticks or dissolve into mush if it was shaken about much. Best to just send some robots down to poke around in it.

They can't actually enter the wreck or even touch it. Which is unfortunate as most of the photographs taken by Frank Hurley went down with the ship.

No idea if the glass plates could survive so maybe its all moot.

This is the trailer for the forthcoming podcast series from Dan Snow about this discovery.

Excerpt from another site:

Famed Arctic/Antarctic explorer Roald Amundsen had the wooden hulled ship he named Maud in honor of the Queen of Norway built for an expedition through the Northwest Passage from 1918 to 1924. (That is how long it took to navigate the Northwest passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific.) The ship was sold to the Hudson Bay Company and renamed the Baymaud, and got stuck in the Arctic ice near Cambridge Bay, Victoria Island in what is now the Province of Nunavut, Canada. Unable to free the ship from the ice, the vessel eventually sank in 1930 and remained on the sea floor until she was raised in 2016 and actually refloated! Placed on a special barge, Maud was painstakingly transported back to Vollen, Norway, arriving in 2018. Presumably the ship will become some sort of museum attraction.

Has a reader of the novel, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, written by Alfred Lansing, during my childhood , I can't believe how lucky we are today with this news. 35 years ago, we had to found the Titanic, and that was amazing. Now this!!

I would invite anyone willing to know more to read the book.

Now they still have to find Amelia, Nungesser & Coli, and Manureva... also MH370.

And while it looks great, I wonder if it would shatter into matchsticks or dissolve into mush if it was shaken about much. Best to just send some robots down to poke around in it.

Ships far older than this one have been dug up from the sea floor and preserved in museums. E.g. the Wasa, from the 17th century.

I think the short season and ice would stop it but who would finance any raising of this ship? As Vasa and Mary Rose prove, it cost's a fortun to do and an accident could be catastrophic.

Glomar Explorer was built to recover a much larger vessel from a greater depth. So we know how to do it, we just don't have the hardware ready to go.
A much larger metal vessel that was down for a tiny fraction of the time Endurance has been under and not in antarctic waters. If we replicated GE today we couldn't being her up intact. Raising a wooden ship in this state requires extreme care and lots of prep work down at the wreck, we can’t put divers that deep and we don't have good enough robots to do it for us.

I think the short season and ice would stop it but who would finance any raising of this ship? As Vasa and Mary Rose prove, it cost's a fortun to do and an accident could be catastrophic.
Musk, Bezos, et. al. in that income bracket come to mind as to who might decide to underwrite salvaging the Endurance as a vanity project/publicity stunt. Accident probabilities are subject to risk assessments and by no means automatically a show stopper- what would be the potential catastrophe? The choice is between having an intact wreck in a location that almost noone ever gets to experience in person or having a (potentially) somewhat damaged/restored artifact that is readily accessible to any landlubber. Since no lives were lost in the sinking of the Endurance, there are no ethical quagmires to be resolved. Assuming there are no residual ownership rights involved, which of course there always might be, keeping in mind Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2, in combination with the punchline of the pun that starts with the question "What do you call a thousand lawyers chained together at the bottom of the ocean?" (but I digress), I have no doubt whatsoever that the technology to achieve that particular feat is more than readily available. As you point out yourself, the wooden Swedish warship Vasa that sank in 1628 was successfully salvaged with a largely intact hull in 1961 in notably warmer and biologically much more active waters, so in my engineering estimate, six decades later we should be able to pull the same stunt off with a ship of less than 30% of the tonnage of Vasa and one fourth of the age of Vasa, independent of the depth (think Glomar Explorer). Note that several Viking and even Roman ships have also been discovered, recovered, and subsequently preserved, see for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_ships, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_ships, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_ship_of_Marausa. The only reason not to do it in my view is that the Endurance seems to have evolved into a biological habitat, see https://www.vox.com/down-to-earth/2022/3/9/22969054/endurance-shipwreck-deep-sea-animals, but perhaps it could be replaced with an even bigger, better, optimized dedicated habitat design, assuming transplanting the resident lifeforms successfully is feasible.

Last edited:
There could be lead in the ship…use that as an argument for removal. She was also very well built…which would help.

This strikes me as s perfect place for the incremental evolution of technology.. harsh environment, only accessible for a short season, use it as a testbbed to learn, go away, improve, return. Submarines should be able to operate in 3000m water under ice, Althouhh navigating there will be a challenge on its own. Launching ROVs in those conditions, placing cameras & other sensors on the sea bed, how better to excercise your capabilities and gain valuable experience?

Yes. Why would you need to refloat her? She will probably be a touristic attraction in 20 years with a flourishing economy around.