Dornier Seawings - Seastar and Orca hydroplanes

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
Dornier Seastar all-composite amphibian evolved from 1984, more then 3 decades.
For certain years, Dornier teamed Chinese company, Wuxi for further developement.
Official site.

Seastar initially offered as aircraft, that could be used in many application - from passenger and VIP-transportation to corporate aircraft.
Seastar page

Few days ago it's dedicated version for governmental missions, equipped with set of surveillance equipment has been presented.
Orca page

Via SNAFU: https://dornierseawings.com/new-generation-of-dornier-seastar-completed-first-flight/
First-Flight-Aerial.jpg

Mainland China needs a variety of seaplanes to support their expansion into the South China Sea. Few of those “islands” are large enough to build runways for land planes.

Kind of shocking that this program has chugged along for so many years without any real orders or aircraft being delivered. Does this aircraft have a realistic chance of being a success ? It seems more practical for a potential operator to simply buy the maritime patrol version of the Viking Otter that is being developed.

If I am not mistaken, Dornier's efforts are backed by the Chinese government. There may be an order forthcoming.

Probably not in the form of a large order. I am more willing to think that China mainly wanted to access Dornier engineering archives with all the know-how in seaplane.

I am more willing to think that China mainly wanted to access Dornier engineering archives with all the know-how in seaplane.
Dornier Seawings has no direct corporate connection to the old Dornier Gmbh. Seawings was founded by a member of the Dornier family after Daimler bought the Dornier Gmbh and was originally named Claudius Dornier Seastar Gmbh.
In the complicated negotiation preceding the merger of Dornier and MBB into DASA, the Dornier family got the right to use the Dornier trademark, but the corporate entity became part of DASA and then (mostly) of EADS and Airbus.