ConcordLift Heavy Air Cargo

Creative

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted here so I thought I would share. I'm not an aeronautical engineer so I don't really know if this concept is possible. What do you guys think?

http://www.concordlift.com/

More photos: http://thehangar.tv/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=0o5zuh489pxop

Attachments

• 12_90TEU_Cargo_Carrier_Aircraft_3D_Model_Rendering.jpg
    12_90TEU_Cargo_Carrier_Aircraft_3D_Model_Rendering.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 666
Reminds me somehow on a mongrel between the Caproni Ca.60 and some Junkers projects
from the '20s and as an alteration to an old say:"Only the inventor can call this thing beautiful"
Technically feasible ? Why not , but I'm not an aeronautical engineer either. About the calculations
I'm not sure. For an aircraft such a thing probably is quite slow, for a freighter a containership usually
is quite fast, a "concordlifter" may be 6 to 8 times faster, than a containership, I think. And time en
route is just a part of the time to destination. And that it would be more direct, I'm honestly not sure,
because it would need completely new airports, I think, as it wouldn't fit standard runways and, probably
more important, wouldn't fit into standard flight procedures of standard airports. Today new airports usually
can only be build far away from population centres, so a more direct delivery is harder to achieve, than with
transport by ship, I'm afraid, not to mention the astronomical costs of that new infra structure.

From the point of view of aerodynamics, weight and balance, I can't see what this design has on the flying wing or any other more conventional configuration.
The two rows of high rudders add considerable drag.
Cargo space doesn't seem so significantly increased from a large conventional transport.
Reducing wingspan and adding height may be a consequence of wanting to take off from existing runways, although I believe the sheer weight of such an aircraft would cause damage to the runways!!
Well, just my two cents...

Looks like way too much vertical fin area too far forward of the cG. This thing's gonna be yawing and squirming all over the place. I'm also wondering why the fuselage's airfoil is upside down. Propeller disk area looks really anemic too, which will severely exacerbate disk loading and kill fuel efficiency for the same reason turbojets suck at specific thrust compared to the good old bigmouth turbofan engine.

This is not an airplane I'd fly even on the prettiest sunniest VFR-rules spring day...