C.V.A 01 big drawings at N.M.M never published.

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Found some notes I made in 1996 when I was able to see the cva 01 covers and drawing roll held at nmm. Noted these much more old fashioned than the published ones-bridge especially curvier!

I have been looking at the notes I made back in 1996 again.

The bridge of the CVA 01 big drawing version is much more like that on traditional
British carriers and does not have the angular appearance of the published CVA 01
drawings. That is what I meant by "curvier".

The carrier hull and fittings are also much more traditional in appearance, almost like
HMS Eagle.

The aft Seadart is the only weapon fitted, with the bigger Bristol launcher.

The drawings were huge, about 3 feet long and also covered sections of the ship.
I think the Museum will do copies, but at a price.

Hope this is of some interest to CVA 01 fans.

UK 75

Unfortunately at the time it was only possible to get same size copies. Today the nmm may do scans.

Geoff sorry I was over optimistic. The drawings were really interesting but difficult to display. If anyone ever does a book on cva 01...

uk 75 said:
Geoff sorry I was over optimistic. The drawings were really interesting but difficult to display. If anyone ever does a book on cva 01...

Actually, it appears the cost for a copy would only be £14.40, plus "£10.00" for "Research and handling per order," and "postage and packing." As far as digitizing a large drawing or blueprint, it's simply a matter of scanning it in sections and combining the scans with an imaging program. Then you can view it on a screen or print it in any scale.

The real issue here is the fact that we don't know how the drawing was cataloged. You apparently found it, so perhaps you know more about how to identify it for an order. Looking at the ordering costs, I think it's important to avoid paid research.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/contact/buy-ship-plans/#obtaining

I have a feeling there are multiple sheets in the plans set for CVA-01 which may upset the calculations. May only be viable to tie with a visit to do own research and decide which plans to copy or it may get an expensive exercise.

G

Tin wing I am sorry I kept no records. But when I visited the archive staff were very helpful and brought me the files and plans to look at. I think a visit worthwhile.

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom