BURT RUTAN VISITED GRUMMAN? (Lockheed AMMS ?)

Racer_Dad

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
My brother came across a stash of old assorted plastic model aircraft and a few PI carved aircraft at a hot rodder's house. He FaceTimed me and asked if I wanted any of them. Behind and under them all was this beauty. It has the hallmarks of being a manufacturers model, heavy and cast in resin. It does not have a stand BUT it does have a large hole in the aft end of the fuselage in with a stand-support could be inserted; this is the way many Northrop factory models came from their model shop (as a child my uncles had given me a T38 and an F5 model from that custom shop).
To me, this "concept" aircraft looks like a Long EZ that was super-sized, pusher jet powered, with a late '50/early 60's style radome on top. I've done a deep dive trying to find something about it BUT all roads led me to this Forum you all.
Though I'm a retired firefighter in my 70's, I was also an A&P for 60 years on the side, my Dad was a B29 pilot in WWII and a TWA pilot after the war, my uncle was a pilot for the Northrop Corporation in Hawthorne first as a test pilot then a corporate pilot, so I am no stranger to aircraft and aircraft design.
Thank you for looking and giving the prototype some thought.
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:
AMSS?

“Lockheed AMSS proposal. Lockheed's Advanced Multimission Sensor System proposal for a Carrier based AEW aircraft is interesting as it employs a fixed three sided dorsal radome covering what would be three phased array antennas. Phased arrays are built up of thousands of miniature receive / transmit elements which allow nearly instantaneous electronically controlled pointing of very low sidelobe beams, with good frequency agility. This will provide high resistance to jamming while also defeating most Anti-Radiation Missile seekers which home in on a radar's sidelobe transmissions.”

Attachments

• USN.jpg
    USN.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Flight-Lockheed.jpg
    Flight-Lockheed.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 62