Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Boris Johnson considered invading the Netherlands to seize Covid vaccines during the height of the pandemic, he has revealed.

Writing in his memoirs, to be published next month, the former prime minister said he commissioned the Armed Forces to consider whether an aquatic raid on a warehouse in Leiden was possible.

The building contained five million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which Mr Johnson believed were rightfully British because they were developed in the UK.

But he was told the plan was unlikely to succeed and was forced to admit that the idea of effectively invading a Nato ally was “nuts”.

Mr Johnson wrote that he had been infuriated that supplies of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which were pioneered with British Government support, had been “kidnapped”.

The five million doses were stuck at the Halix plant in the Netherlands because it was a long-standing part of AstraZeneca’s supply chain.

After five weeks of negotiations, in March 2021 he brought in military top brass to ask “whether it might be technically feasible to launch an aquatic raid on a warehouse in Leiden, in the Netherlands, and to take that which was legally ours and which the UK desperately needed”.

Lt Gen Doug Chalmers, the deputy chief of the defence staff, told him that such action was “certainly feasible”. “He explained how we could do it,” Mr Johnson wrote. “We would send one team on a commercial flight to Amsterdam, while another team would use the cover of darkness to cross the Channel in ribs [rigid inflatable boats] and navigate up the canals.

“They would then rendezvous at the target; enter; secure the hostage goods, exfiltrate using an articulated lorry, and make their way to the Channel ports.

“‘But I have to warn you, PM’ – and they all looked at me meaningfully – ‘that it will not be possible to do this undetected’. He pointed out that there were lockdowns in place in Belgium and the Netherlands, and the local authorities might observe our movements… ‘If we are detected we will have to explain why we are effectively invading a long-standing Nato ally.’“

The former prime minister concluded: “Of course, I knew he was right, and I secretly agreed with what they all thought but did not want to say aloud: that the whole thing was nuts.”

He said he had been desperate because he believed it was his “paramount duty” to secure vaccines while “people in my country were dying of Covid”.

Mr Johnson accused the EU of “treating us with malice and with spite [because] we were vaccinating our population much faster than they were, and the European electorate had long since noticed”.

That story's been out there since at least Christmas. Presumably Boris's publicist just earned himself a bonus by recycling it with the book due out in a few weeks.

IIRC Astra Zeneca had been paid to deliver the doses, but the EU had stopped the export license. Struck me as EU playing silly buggers at the time, but Boris didn't have to match them.

OTOH Boris playing silly buggers was about par for the course.