Bomb and Mine Disposal in Malta (1940-1944)

Jason Dykstra (Wyvern)

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to post general information regarding bomb disposal efforts by the three arms of the British Armed Forces on Malta between 1940 and 1944. Malta was one of the most bombed places of the Second World War, being on the receiving end of more bombs than London and Coventry during the worst parts of the Blitz, in a shorter time, in a smaller area. Bomb Disposal efforts were key to keeping civilian morale from failing, military operations from stalling and preventing unnecessary deaths. The disposal of these bombs also gives us a window into certain trends in both tactics, and

Despite its immense importance, it is a topic which receives little mention in Wartime records of Malta. Therefore, I have decided to research this topic to uncover new information and provide a new angle to the bombing campaign over Malta, as well as the efforts made by the valiant few who put their lives on the line to protect others from harm.

This thread is going to be an overview of the organisation, members, and general information about the bomb disposal campaign in Malta.

Here are some other related threads:

Here is some raw data I have compiled:

Around 80% of the bombs dropped on Malta were of German origin. This is likely due to both higher production output when compared to the Italians, as well as the fact that the Italians also made great use of German bombs as well.
1725303793553.png

Here is the total number of bombs dropped by quarter from Q4 1940:
1725303882602.png

Some patterns to note:
Q1-2 1941: "Illustrious Blitz" and first involvement of the Luftwaffe
Q3 1941: Reduction in activity due to withdrawal of Luftwaffe units from Southern Europe, in preparation for Operation Barbarossa
Q4 1941: Italian anti-personnel mine campaign

Q1-2 1942: Return of the Luftwaffe, thorough attempts to neutralise Malta as an operational base
Q3 1942: Arrival of Spitfires and implementation of new tactics reduce the effectiveness of bombings on Malta
Q4 1942: Effects of the convoys begin to be felt, increase in fuel and ammunition reduce Axis effectiveness. October blitz by the Luftwaffe.

Sources List:

[1] "UXB Malta: Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal 1940-1944" by S.A.M Hudson
[2] "Mines over Malta" by Frederick R. Galea