Boeing SDB-I/GBU-39/B

NMaude

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
While there's an SDB-II thread there is as far as I can tell no thread for the SDB-I and I'm opening it in the Military forum as that seems to be the most appropriate one to post it, so anyway:

This thread is for the air-launched SDB-I not the GLSDB (Which already has an existing thread) for any news or developments of it.

GBU-39/B vital stats:

From SDB-I wikipedia article:

The GBU-39/B Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) is a 250-pound (110 kg) precision-guided glide bomb that is intended to allow aircraft to carry a greater number of smaller, more accurate bombs. Most US Air Force aircraft will be able to carry (using the BRU-61/A rack[16]) a pack of four SDBs in place of a single 2,000-pound (910 kg) Mark 84 bomb. It first entered service in 2006. The Ground Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB) was later developed to enable the SDB to be launched from a variety of ground launchers and configurations.[17][18]

Specifications
Mass285 lb (129 kg)
Length70.8 in (1.80 m)[6]
Width5 ft 3.3 in (1.61 m) (wings extended)
7.5 in (190 mm) packed[7]

WarheadSDB I (GBU-39/B)
penetrating blast fragmentation, penetrating steel nosecone[8]
SDB FLM (GBU-39A/B)
blast ultra low fragmentation[9]
Laser SDB (GBU-39B/B)
penetrating blast fragmentation, w/o steel nosecone[8]
Warhead weightAll SDB I variants
206 lb (93 kg) total[8][9]
SDB I (GBU-39/B)
Explosive fill: 36 lb (16 kg) AFX 757 Insensitive munition certifiedPBX[10][6]
Penetration: greater than 3 ft (0.91 m) of steel reinforced concrete[6]
SDB FLM (GBU-39A/B)
137 lb (62 kg) AFX 1209 MBX ("multiphase blast explosive"), composite case
Laser SDB (GBU-39B/B)
36 lb (16 kg) AFX 757 enhanced blast insensitive explosive, penetrating steel case

Operational
range
All SDB I variants
over 60 nmi (69 mi; 111 km) when air-dropped,[11] 150 km (93 mi; 81 nmi) when launched as a part of the GLSDB,[7][12]
Guidance
system
SDB I (GBU-39/B)
SDB FLM (GBU-39A/B)

GPS / INS
Laser SDB (GBU-39B/B)
GPS / INS with terminal semi-active laser guidance
AccuracySDB I (GBU-39)
3 ft (1 m) CEP[13][14][15]

602px-SDB3.jpg

(Photograph reproduced from the wikipedia article on the SDB-I)

Now recently the SDBI has been used in Ukraine with varying degrees of success against the Russians with for example a number of GLSDBs being successfully spoofed by Russian GPS-jammers but on the other hand they have been used apparently with great effect by the Ukrainians in their Kursk region counter-offensive when launched from fighters/fighter-bombers.

Defense Updates recently posted a video about the use of the SDBI in the Kursk offensive:

The Ukrainian military has executed a remarkable operation, bringing the war directly to Russian territory and revealing vulnerabilities within the Russian army. Ukraine's incursion into Russia's Kursk region, fully justified as an act of self-defense, took both Russia and the West by surprise. The raid was a textbook example of operational security.
This success was achieved through meticulous planning and the effective use of Western-supplied weapons.
Ukraine’s Air Force Commander, Lt. Gen. Mykola Oleschuk, released a video allegedly showing a Russian platoon base in Kursk being struck during the surprise cross-border incursion on August 6. He stated that the attack carried out with GBU-39 bombs provided by the United States, resulted in Russian casualties and the destruction of equipment.
In this video, Defense Updates analyzes how Small Diameter Bombs assisted Ukraine in the Kursk offensive ?
Chapters:
00:11 INTRODUCTION
01:55 GBU-39 SMALL DIAMETER BOMB OVERVIEW
03:05 CAPABILITY
05:04 INTEGRATION
06:28 ANALYSIS