GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
BAE Systems to unveil new air defense system at Eurosatory

1718262447126.jpg

I theorized they would develope a system like this when drone attacks became a problem for cities during the russian invasion. 40 mm proxy munition should be a solid way of countering drones than kinetically fuzed munition seen in smaller cannons.

I theorized they would develope a system like this when drone attacks became a problem for cities during the russian invasion. 40 mm proxy munition should be a solid way of countering drones than kinetically fuzed munition seen in smaller cannons.

From the various tests I've seen, 40mm HE-Prox (3P) and 35mm AHEAD are functionally equivalent. It's very hard to choose between them.

From the various tests I've seen, 40mm HE-Prox (3P) and 35mm AHEAD are functionally equivalent. It's very hard to choose between them.
Sure, today that is the case, but Bofors 40 mm proxy was for a long time the smallest caliber with good proxy effect and it is extremely widespread. But yes, a 35 mm system should be just as effective on paper, although range is substantially lower which could be relevant.

30 mm proxy on the other hand, however, have had effect problems in the past during the German SPz Puma trials. They needed to make the shell very long for enough prefrag and the fuze, then fiddle around with the spread pattern for refined effect. AFAIAA, the US just gave up on 25 mm proxy for the Bradley cuz the caliber is just too small. Their new IFV system is based on caliber 50 mm or potentially 40 mm caseless as a commonality backup, so 35 mm has its limitations.

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom