Amazon Closes $8.5 Billion Acquisition of MGM

Thinking about a Blofeld - Gollum hybrid villain. The horror, the horror...

"The culprit is known to me, precious. He stole it from us ! "

I can't wait for the scene where Q explains the workings of the ring they've faked up... you put it on and instead of making you invisible it gives you cancer and a burning discharge. In this subversion of expectations, the goal of the Fellowship isn't to sneak the Ring to Mount Doom, but to actually get caught and let Sauron put on the fake ring.

And I have high hopes for the scene of Boromir defending the hobbits from the Uruk-hai with automatic weapons, rather than a crappy sword.

Alec_Trevelyan_(1986).jpg

And casting Lashana Lynch as Aragorn? Stunning and brave!

Hey, real men engage in sword play, not cheat with automatic weapons.

Wise men take out real men at long distance, in the dark, while the real men are unsuspecting. A sniper bullet to the dome, an LGB through the window, a nuke up the wazoo. It's a mistake to allow a swordsman the opportunity to even realize there's a threat.

We're not talking about reality here but movie heroics. That's why, regardless of weapons available, the hero has to engage in hand to hand combat with the bad guy. Has to.

It's on page 24 of Guide to Heroics in Movies.

:)

Hey, real men engage in sword play, not cheat with automatic weapons.

Wise men take out real men at long distance, in the dark, while the real men are unsuspecting. A sniper bullet to the dome, an LGB through the window, a nuke up the wazoo. It's a mistake to allow a swordsman the opportunity to even realize there's a threat.

Indiana Jones readily approves.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

ROTFL

(seriously: this scene will forever kills me in laughter. It is a bit of "Last crusade" humor, lost in an earlier movie.

The proudness of the saber ratling guy, and Indy blasé and baffled face before he promptly kills him... I just can't breath anymore. They didn't reached such humorous brilliance again until Last crusade, when the Me-109... pardon, the Zlin figher drops its wings at the tunnel entrance, with the pilot having a great WTF are my wings ? moment.

Also SHE TALKS IN HER SLEEP.

... and as the story goes, when they filmed the scene, the actor's swordsman wasn't told about his character fate. So just like the movie swordsman, he did his wonderful trick very proudly... only to be a little pissed-off when Harrison Ford negligently fired his gun.

Maybe he expected a longer, brighter cameo in the movie ?

Which makes the movie scene even more hilarious: squared, somewhat)

... and as the story goes, when they filmed the scene, the actor's swordsman wasn't told about his character fate. So just like the movie swordsman, he did his wonderful trick very proudly... only to be a little pissed-off when Harrison Ford negligently fired his gun.

Harrison Ford was sick that day and didn't feel up to the planned fight, so he improvised... and the actor playing the swordsman played along. I can't begin to imagine a fight scene that could have improved upon that accidental brilliance.

We're not talking about reality here but movie heroics. That's why, regardless of weapons available, the hero has to engage in hand to hand combat with the bad guy. Has to.

In "The 5th Element," Bruce Willis never even *met* the bad guy. In Star Wars, Luke Skywalker *nuked* the bad guys. Star Trek II, Kirk never met Khan, but instead exchanged fire with weapons capable of razing continents.

In "The 5th Element," Bruce Willis never even *met* the bad guy. In Star Wars, Luke Skywalker *nuked* the bad guys. Star Trek II, Kirk never met Khan, but instead exchanged fire with weapons capable of razing continents.

Now you're just being difficult. No porridge or a movie career for you.

That was pretty much a given. Hollywood would be *horrified* by what I would come up with if I ended up in charge of, say, Star Wars or Star Trek. Intelligent stories that respect established canon, don't insult the existing fans and don't promote failed extremist politics? GASP! SHOCK!

That was pretty much a given. Hollywood would be *horrified* by what I would come up with if I ended up in charge of, say, Star Wars or Star Trek. Intelligent stories that respect established canon, don't insult the existing fans and don't promote failed extremist politics? GASP! SHOCK!

I'm so confused. Was that irony? Parody?

Note: I would do the exact same thing.

I'm so confused. Was that irony? Parody?

Nope. I'm dead serious: I'd make Star Trek and Star Wars that would horrify Hollywood, with a virtually complete lack of stunt casting and virtue signalling and tearing down of the originals in favor of subverting expectations or promoting some perverted message.

For starters, put me in charge of Star Trek, and I'd promptly cancel STD and only produce new Trek when all the licensing issues are finally resolved and *real* Trek is possible again. What I *would* do is throw a bone to those few who actually like the show and drop a reference to it: perhaps have one of the characters read about a historical incident of Starfleet officer Michael Burnham... you know, the famous one? The one who, while as an ensign on her first mission, was struck by some previously unknown alien spores that invaded her brain and re-wrote her entire mind? The one who ended up spending the rest of her life in a Federation funny farm, believing the fantasies that rampaged through her head about being raised by a Vulcan (this particularly pained her actual parents, who visited her regularly for many years until they got bored of her ravings) and starting a war, traveling between dimensions and riding on highways of space mushrooms? Poor kid; but she went down in Starfleet history as an important teachable moment about the importance of actually following first contact protocols, rather than running off and acting the jackass.

Uh... well... wow. I see what you mean. The company I work for was involved with a few licensed properties and our head writer took great pains to honor the original material and provide a faithful presentation along with some expansion of the original material without any failed extremist politics. Or subverting anything.

For me, Star Trek: Discovery exists in an alternate reality that can never be real Star Trek. And though I've seen snippets, it never failed to make me want to turn it off after a minute or two, up to avoiding it entirely now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... well... wow. I see what you mean. The company I work for was involved with a few licensed properties and our head writer took great pains to honor the original material and provide a faithful presentation along with some expansion of the original material without any failed extremist politics. Or subverting anything.

For me, Star Trek: Discovery exists in an alternate reality that can never be real Star Trek. And though I've seen snippets, it never failed to make me want to turn it off after a minute or two, up to avoiding it entirely now.
Oh so you’re one of these people who like trot out nonsense saying anything is not real anything. I especially find it funny when people like you try to dictate this kind of stuff to the actual creators like happened with Neil Gaiman online over the Netflix version of Sandman. Which led to him generally mocking such opinions. I might not be the biggest fan of Discovery but I am not going to be so childish as to pretend it isn’t part of the Trek family of shows.