Airbus US Space & Defense UH-72 Unmanned Logistics Connector

RavenOne

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
According to Airbus US Space & Defense Linkedin page

Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) awarded Airbus U.S. Space & Defense a Phase I Other Transactional Authority Agreement, through Naval Aviation Systems Consortium, in support of the United States Marine Corps Aerial Logistics Connector.

The award is part of a Middle Tier of Acquisition (MTA) Rapid Prototyping Program which aims to provide the USMC with prototypes to demonstrate the aircrafts capabilities to the warfighter through a series of operationally experiments.

The Airbus U.S. UH-72 Unmanned Logistics Connector, a variant of the proven Lakota platform, is intended to provide logistical support during expeditionary operations within contested environments.

“Our unmanned UH-72 logistics connector leverages nearly two decades of U.S. military capability and offers Marines a versatile, affordable and enduring solution to address logistics missions around the globe," said Rob Geckle, Chairman and CEO of Airbus U.S. Space & Defense. "We look forward to supporting the Marine Corps with this latest modernization of the Lakota platform.”

IMG_1677.jpeg IMG_1678.jpeg

cheers

Last edited:
Nice loading area:

uh-72-rear.jpg

So, will it be a QH-72? an MQ-29? an MQ-36?

The K-Max drones were apparently CQ-24, so possibly something in that vein. Q-72 has been used but is wildly out of sequence. We have no idea what the next available number in the Q series actually is. My best guess would be CQ-29 or CQ-37, depending on whether Q-29 to Q-34 have been used or blocked for some reason or just skipped but left available.

The K-Max drones were apparently CQ-24, so possibly something in that vein. Q-72 has been used but is wildly out of sequence. We have no idea what the next available number in the Q series actually is. My best guess would be CQ-29 or CQ-37, depending on whether Q-29 to Q-34 have been used or blocked for some reason or just skipped but left available.

The issue being that while there was no non-drone version of the K-Max in US military service (and thus Q-for-drone was its primary type designator), there IS a UH-72 currently in service, and the drone version would be a modification of the baseline aircraft rather than a completely new type.

Thus, the designation rules require that H-72 be used with a "modified Mission - drone" prefix - thus QH-72.

Just like the manned aircraft modified as unmanned target drones (see below).*

My "QCH" was a bit of a joke about non-standard designations.

* QB-17 Flying Fortress, QT-33 Shooting Star, QB-47 Stratojet, QF-9 Cougar, QF-86 Sabre, QF-100 Super Sabre, QF-102 and PQM-102 Delta Dagger, QF-106 Delta Dart, QF-4 Phantom II, QF-16 Fighting Falcon

The issue being that while there was no non-drone version of the K-Max in US military service (and thus Q-for-drone was its primary type designator), there IS a UH-72 currently in service, and the drone version would be a modification of the baseline aircraft rather than a completely new type.

And yet, see MQ-8C Firescout, which ought to have been any one of several other options (most obviously MQH-70, since it was derived from the Model 407, as was the earlier ARH-70). But they assigned the same primary designation to two totally unrelated airframes instead.

And then there's the X-62 VISTA (formerly an NF-16). Should be something like XQF-16D, since it is optionally manned like the QF-16, QF-4, etc. But it somehow became an X-plane.

It's fairly clear that the nomenclature office has no actual authority, and no one else has a clue what they are doing when assigning designations, especially for drones (see the numerous gaps and out-of-sequence designations assigned). So it's a total guess what any given new drone might be designated.

Yes, but why did you jump to "37" and not "36" like I suggested? After your post I double-checked to be sure, but unless you know something that I don't, no "Q-36" designation has been allocated.

And then there's the X-62 VISTA (formerly an NF-16). Should be something like XQF-16D, since it is optionally manned like the QF-16, QF-4, etc. But it somehow became an X-plane.
Remember also how the YFC-36A (although perfectly logical) became the YAL-1? They invented a new prefix for a plane that eventually was cancelled, when the existing system was perfectly able to account for its mission.

Yes, but why did you jump to "37" and not "36" like I suggested? After your post I double-checked to be sure, but unless you know something that I don't, no "Q-36" designation has been allocated.

Not sure. I think I had a reason but it's gone now. You are right that Q-36 should be free.

Remember also how the YFC-36A (although perfectly logical) became the YAL-1?

Though using C-36 was itself odd, given that C-25 had already been assigned to the 747. The difference between the VC-25s based on the 747-200 and the airborne laser based on the 747-400 could have been covered by a suffix change (e.g., YFC-25B). That's what they're doing now with the -800s that are becoming VC-25Bs.

Not sure. I think I had a reason but it's gone now. You are right that Q-36 should be free.

Though using C-36 was itself odd, given that C-25 had already been assigned to the 747. The difference between the VC-25s based on the 747-200 and the airborne laser based on the 747-400 could have been covered by a suffix change (e.g., YFC-25B). That's what they're doing now with the -800s that are becoming VC-25Bs.
Gentlemen, I fear that there are several mid-grade bureaucrats in the bowls of the Pentagon trying not to urinate on themselves, giggling at having confounded you with their having played scrabble with the naming nomenclature.