Adamjet-05.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Adamjet-06.jpg
    Adamjet-06.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Adamjet-07.jpg
    Adamjet-07.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 27
Not sure the A700 would qualify as "secret" project as it was produced. Let's not forget this "variant". . . ;)

Attachments

• Darpa-Heliplane_large.jpg
    Darpa-Heliplane_large.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 31
Triton said:
I thought that only two prototypes were produced and development ended in 2003.

That's why I scratched out my comment. I'd thought it started production but it didn't.

It seems that at least 4 aircraft were built, including 2 socalled conforming prototypes.
I have seen pics of N700AJ (s/n 0001), N700LJ (s/n 0002), N703AJ (s/n 0003), N700JJ (maybe s/n 0004?)

Thanks a lot Triton for sharing these magnificent photos of the superb but ill-fated AdamJet ! (please note the capital "J" in the official spelling).

walter said:
It seems that at least 4 aircraft were built, including 2 socalled conforming prototypes.
I have seen pics of N700AJ (s/n 0001), N700LJ (s/n 0002), N703AJ (s/n 0003), N700JJ (maybe s/n 0004?)

I don't think there were any more than these.

sferrin said:
Let's not forget this "variant". . . ;)

Yep, that's the DARPA/Groen Heliplane, also an ill-fated project which has its own topic elsewhere on the forum.

Both the AdamJet and the Heliplane project came to a brutal ending when Adam Aircraft went bankrupt.

My opinion (for what it's worth) has always been that maybe Adam ought to have secured a wider customer base on the turboprop A500 Advantage before venturing into jets.

Triton Aerospace, LLC at the Skagit County Airport in Burlington, Washington acquired the assets of Adam Aircraft Industries in 2011. They have announced their intention to produce the Adam A500. Hopefully they will revive the A700 too.

http://www.tritonaero.com/aircraft.php

Triton said:
Triton Aerospace, LLC at the Skagit County Airport in Burlington, Washington acquired the assets of Adam Aircraft Industries in 2011. They have announced their intention to produce the Adam A500. Hopefully they will revive the A700 too.

Great info, I didn't know that! The site states clearly that they acquired the rights to both models, and the header features a picture of the A700, so there's hope.
However, I think it is wise, as I said earlier, to start with the more marketable prop aircraft before taking the financial risk of the jet version.

Stargazer2006 said:
Yep, that's the DARPA/Groen Heliplane, also an ill-fated project which has its own topic elsewhere on the forum.

Yeah, I know. I worked on it. :'( Funny thing is where I'm at now I bumped into one of the A700 engineers. Interesting stories.

Back in 2008, when I was working for Aerospace Publishing, I was compiling some new entries for the A to Z section of a new partwork, which we were planning for the UK market. One of the entries which I was adding was for both the Adam A500 and the A700. I managed to get in contact with one of the founders of the company, which I think was John Knudsen. He gave us further information regarding the development of both types. When Adam Aircraft entered Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on 15th February 2008, moves were made by one of the prospective customers to purchase the company. This company was AAI Acquisition Inc, who were a subsidiary of a Russian company. AAIA had placed an order for 75 A700s just prior to the bankruptcy. On 11 April 2008 AAIA met the approval of the bankruptcy court and stated they were looking at gaining US certification for the type during 2009, with the first customer deliveries expected soon after. It was also stated that the A500 was not going to part of any future development plans for AAIA.