A question about Spanish Aircraft Carrier Príncipe de Asturias.

PreMars

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I have recently been reading books about Spanish aircraft carriers and noticed that there are differences in the descriptions of shipbuilding steel used. Which viewpoint is correct?

The first one is "MS, HY and HY-80".
01.jpg

The second one is "MS, HT and HY-80".
02.jpg

I believe that first example with two uses of HY is a typo and "MS, HT, and HY 80" is the correct version. MS is mild steel, which would be used for most hull plating and bulkheads. HT is high tensile strength steel, which would be the main structural steel. HY-80 is part of a family of high-yield steels that would be used in high-stress areas of the structure.

Last edited:
I believe that first example with two uses of HY is a typo and "MS, HT, and HY 80" is the correct version. MS is mild steel, which would be used for most hull plating and bulkheads. HT is high tensile strength steel, which would be the main structural steel. HY-80 is part of a family of high-yield steels that would be used in high-stress areas of the structure.
I concur. Thanks.

I suggested a typo as an hypothesis because there's some years between the publication of both books.
But as TomS explained the typo is in the most recent book, not in the older as I guessed.